best big worm hook?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Nightbite
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

best big worm hook?

Post by Nightbite » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:26 pm

looking for the best big worm hook for soft custom pour 10 inch worms??
any suggested?
having a problem with the worm sliding down the hook from grass or rock because the worm is so soft
was looking at the Gamakatsu Skip Gap Worm Hook 5/0

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: best big worm hook?

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:43 pm

For my money, Owner is the best. Their oversized worm hooks (7/0 & 11/0) are as good as it gets. For 10 inch and up, I tend to use 11/0, but suggest you buy both. I'm talking body length, not total length including tail such as ribbon, curl, twist, etc.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Ov ... e-OOW.html

As for sliding down there are partial solutions that help, the simplest of which is tie your line and slide the plastic up over the hook eye, insert a toothpick through the plastic and through the hook eye, then clip the excess toothpick. It's simple and cheap. I'm sure others will offer solutions as well. I know you'll like those hooks. Good stuff.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:39 pm

The Gamakatsu skip gaps are great but, they will flex a bit if using heavy power rod with 65lb braid yanking big fish out of heavy cover, it isn't that type of hook. It is stout enough for normal cover and 20lb line. If I'm flipping heavy cover I use a Trokar TK-130 flipping hook, a buck more than the Gamakatsu and the keeper stays put, very strong hooks.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:15 pm

Hi Nightbite,

I am also a fan of the Troakar 130 hook. The keeper does a good job of preventing the bait from sliding down.

I also like the Owner Wide Gap Plus Hook if the worm is big enough around so the bend doesn't catch weeds.

Nightbite
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Nightbite » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks for the replies guys!
I'm going to mess around with all the different hooks suggested and see what works best for me

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:28 pm

If you're using soft custom poured baits, I'd suggest staying away from the Trokar. That hooks eats baits more than bass do. I don't use it for any plastic duty besides drop shotting. That cutting point just slices through plastic.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:25 pm

Hi Nightbite,

I have seen others make the same comment about the Trokar hook points cutting soft plastics. I use Trokars a lot and just don't have that problem at all. Especially with the Trokar 130 Flipping hooks.

Frank

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:23 am

Take the hook of your choice and add shrink tubing to it. Cut the top at a 45 degree angle. All of my soft plastic hooks have shrink tubing. I throw the Owner Wide Gap Plus most of the time with Uptons.