Best Buzz Frog/Toad

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best Buzz Frog/Toad

Post by Taxin That Bass » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:46 am

There are days when a buzz toad is the absolute deal, but man i HATE throwing them because of several reasons:
1) they roll over and catch grass
2) they roll over and catch grass
3) did i mention they roll over?

I have used horny toads, trixie sharks, and ribbits. I like the weight of the horny toad and trixie sharks but they horny toads really want to roll and it seems like each one kicks a little better or worse than the other. Trixie sharks are great but very fragile, they also roll over. Ribbit seem to stay oriented whichever way they land but aren't as heavy thus don't cast as far.

Can any tell me a definitive superior toad? Also, what is the best hook, i have been using VMC un-weighted swimbait hooks but don't love them...wish the point was pointed down slightly more.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best Buzz Frog/Toad

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:49 am

i like using the dual owner toad hook, helps with alignment allot.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:03 am

I like the Ribbits but the Rage Toad really makes a thump. The Rage Shad is good too. I like to use the double hook from Stanley with the Ribbits.

The Zoom frog is more like a finesse frog because the action is pretty subtle. The Ribbit is in the middle with the Rage Shad and Toad at the top for the most noise.

You can use paddletail swimbaits for topwater too if you reel them in fast enough. Some people use the Zoom Ultra Vibe worm as well.

ctgalloway21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ctgalloway21 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:02 pm

I can catch 20 fish on one Ribbit, unlike the Rage Toad, that may last one fish or two.

Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Taxin That Bass » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:21 pm

I like the ribbit's action but i can't throw it very far, i imagine the bull ribbits would cast farther?

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:44 am

As far as casting distance goes the Rage Toad has been the best I've tried. I'll agree with the previous poster on the durability of these baits, it isn't very good. I haven't tried the double hook from Owner yet but my main toad hook is the Owner Twistlock 3X and even this hook doesn't help much. 1 to 2 fish per bait.

My second choice is the Gambler Cane Toad. No they don't cast as far as the Rage Toad but I can fish them much slower without them sinking. They are really good baits as well.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Many here will dismiss it because it's cheap, but the Mann's Hard Nose toad is as good as any when they're keyed in on the toad. I keep it simple by rigging it on a single 4/0 Gammy EWG hook (a 5/0 will fit nicely as well) No screw lock or anything of the sort necessary, the hard plastic head keeps the bait in check nicely, even when drug through cover.

It swims equally well on the surface or just under the surface. It is THE sleeper bait of the frog world ...

Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Taxin That Bass » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:07 pm

I actually just ordered some of the Mann's hard nose toads because i had heard they were a sleeper toad bait.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:31 pm

I tried a pack of the Mann's frog a while back. They were a solid little bait I just didn't care for them because they didn't kick up enough water for me. No doubt that they catch fish though.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:00 am

Taxin That Bass wrote:I like the ribbit's action but i can't throw it very far, i imagine the bull ribbits would cast farther?
Yes they do cast further. I don't get anywhere near 20 fish per bait. Stanley also makes a double hook that works pretty good with the Stanley frogs. I use both sizes and use them with the Stanley hooks. The screws usually let a frog last 2-3 fish if it's not a viscous attack. I've gone one fish per frog. You c an use the messed up frog as a trailer though on chatterbaits and others.

Higher price doesn't make me want to fish one frog over another. That Mann's design just looks dumb and doesn't seem like it would kick enough water so that's why I've never fished it. Same goes with that Berkley Bat Wing frog.

fisherman012
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fisherman012 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:57 pm

I like the ribbit. I use the owner twistlock hook with a 1/8th ounce weight. This allows for a better casting distance as well as making the frog sit down it the water when bringing it through grass and what not. It goes through it better instead of over the top of it and messing it up. The weight also ensures that the frog is belly down. I can still reel the frog slow enough. If you have tried a lightly weighted hook Id try it.

Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Taxin That Bass » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:29 pm

uljersey wrote:Many here will dismiss it because it's cheap, but the Mann's Hard Nose toad is as good as any when they're keyed in on the toad. I keep it simple by rigging it on a single 4/0 Gammy EWG hook (a 5/0 will fit nicely as well) No screw lock or anything of the sort necessary, the hard plastic head keeps the bait in check nicely, even when drug through cover.

It swims equally well on the surface or just under the surface. It is THE sleeper bait of the frog world ...

I got out saturday and got a chance to throw the hard nose a bit. I had a screw lock hook already on so i used that. First impressions are pretty good:
Pros: casts pretty good, crazy durable - i caught 3 fish on the bait including a 32" pike which drilled it, normally a slimer like that will destroy anything you have tied up but that hard nose was still in really good shape, some slashes on the top of the frog but nose held tight and legs in good shape

Cons: doesn't come to the surface immediately, it kinda want to swim sub surface unless you get on the reel quickly and get your rod tip up fast. Action is pretty subtle vs say a ribbit, but i think it is enough to get the job done. It will roll like any other toad.

I will do some more playing around with it

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:42 am

One of the best I have used is the Reaction Innovations Trixie Shark.

bigbaitfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by bigbaitfishing » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Canyon Plastics 4.5'' frog , Owner 4/0 or 6/0 un weighted beast hook ....
Attachments
Frog-2.jpg
Frog-2.jpg (29.02 KiB) Viewed 14157 times
Canyon Plastics frog.jpg
Canyon Plastics frog.jpg (11.55 KiB) Viewed 14158 times

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:36 am

Lunker city salad spoon.

I've caught countless fish over 20" with them

One taped out at 25" with a 19.5 " girth (state record class fish...released)

They gurgle better than the rage. cast well and get up on plane quick.

They hold up very well with an owner twist lock 4/0

No need for double hooks.

The only weak link is the Green pumkin Chart. The tail is molded separately and can pull free. The other don't have this problem