Solid body paddle tail swimbaits

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Solid body paddle tail swimbaits

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:14 am

Just convince your local shop guy that they will be all the rage, and show him pictures of the pigs you caught with them. He will order in a whole bunch, and they will fail to sell when people think the tail is on sideways so they must not work.
Buy them at a reduced price as needed for the next two years. I may, or may not, have done something eerily similar to that scenario I just made up on the spot, off the top of my head. I swear. I thought they would sell. Five bucks sound good? Ok, give me ten.... :lol:

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:42 am

I'm very interested in this subject since I just started throwing soft swimbaits this year. I've done well with Swammers from Xzone. Dureable ribbed style baits that seem best in vegetation. Yamamoto swimsenkos and Yum swimdingers worked great when i started throwing swimbbaits but seem to have dropped of lately. I have some Havoc Grass Pigs but they seem stiff and I can't find a scenario where they seem likely to work. Zoom swimbaits have worked well for Pike , Largemouth and, as of today ,Smallmouths as well. They work in vegetation and in open river water for me. They seem best when there's some chop on the water in an open water scenario, anytime in veg. The best of all seems to be the P Line swimbait. It's a killer super soft swimbait that is billed as an A-Rig bait but I'm killimg smallies with it on a swimbait hook in calm open water.

Love to hear more from you guys re swimbaits because they work when I'm normally going home thinking the bites over. How wrong a guy can be.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:10 am

KEITECH!

I don't consider myself a bandwagoner much, but KEITECH has the solid body swimbait down on lock. There are many companies that have copied the bait looks wise but can't action wise.

I went Smallie fishing this spring for two days and on day one they were eating the normal drop shot rig. On day two, they wouldn't touch the drop shot but absolutely crushed the Swing Impacts. I don't even use the Swing Impact Fats because they cost more and the small skinny profile of the swing is just so money. I threw them on a 1/8oz head and swam it slowly over 4-5ft of water. I reeled super slow to be able to keep it in the strike zone and it kicked beautifully. Too many baits need you to reel faster for it to kick but the thin tails allows the bait to kick at even the slowest of speeds. I think these are going to be my replacement for grubs as most grubs need a faster retrieve for any action. I had no issues with the thin tails being bitten off because I was on a 2-3# fish bite and they just engulfed the whole bait. I'm in search of a good jig head to fish these with now but I think I've found them.

I use the Easy Shiner for white bass when they become finicky and it's so money as well. I like to use the lightest head I can get away with. Crappie love the Easy Shiner too.

I throw Big Hammers on a Chatterbait and they hold up pretty good because of how much plastic there is.

mokujon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mokujon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:59 am

4.8 inch Keitech Swing Impact Fat or any size of the Keitech Easy Shiner are the only paddle tails I throw now. I love them.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:17 am

One bait that I have to mention that no one has brought up is the ZMan Swimmerz. They are very soft and need I say durable. I was smallmouth fishing for 4 days and I would have to say I caught over 100 fish on two baits. We went threw about 300 fish in 4 days but most of the big ones came on the 4" swimmerz. I wish I would have brought the 6" with me. My partner was using the Little Dipper and the Keitech but he went through a lot more baits then I did. The litl

They have great action even at slow speeds. I was throwing them on a 5.3:1 baitcasting setup with 12 lb. floro.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:22 am

Fishinfanatic115 wrote:Easy shiners are nice in the smaller sizes, but I've gotta say my favorite is the 3.8 Swing Impact FAT. Best action, not to subtle, but not crazy aggressive.
These have been getting me more fish and bigger fish in the short time I have used them. Plus my PB little over 6#

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:02 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Fishinfanatic115 wrote:Easy shiners are nice in the smaller sizes, but I've gotta say my favorite is the 3.8 Swing Impact FAT. Best action, not to subtle, but not crazy aggressive.
These have been getting me more fish and bigger fish in the short time I have used them. Plus my PB little over 6#
They're dynamite, right??? That on a weighted springlock hook is killer! The 3.3" are killer for the smallies too, up here in Jersey...

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:55 am

It is amazing how this category of soft bait has taken the fishing world by storm. It seems like every major tournament over the last few years has a majority of the top placers throwing this category of bait in one form or another.
I was secretly fishing the small Worm King tails on various jigheads and skirted baits in the 80's. Everybody knew the secret was up when the larger Worm King swimbait tails became a hit at Castaic in the 90's. Every manufacturer has jumped on the bandwagon and I've caught fish on a lot of different brands. The Keitech's are nice, but the lathering of squid scent is something that bugs me. Hopefully they have toned it down as an earlier post suggested.
The Skinny Dipper was the first of the "newer" swimbaits that I tried and it is as good as any. I also throw a ton of the Little Dippers on my swimjigs, spinnerbaits, and vibrating jigs. The Skinny Dipper has continued to produce kicker fish for me through the years when fished by itself. This fish started my day on Friday and it came on a Skinny Dipper rigged on an Owner Weighted Twistlock CPS 4/0 1/8oz. It is nothing special, but this bait seems to have the natural appeal that is special in our clear Western waters.
Attachments
Lake Silverwood 5.45lb..jpg
Lake Silverwood 5.45lb..jpg (37.46 KiB) Viewed 6750 times

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:50 am

If you don't care for that oily squid scent try River Rock Baits version of the shiner. Dan (Smalljaw) turned me onto these and all of their baits are pretty dialed in.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:35 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:If you don't care for that oily squid scent try River Rock Baits version of the shiner. Dan (Smalljaw) turned me onto these and all of their baits are pretty dialed in.
Those do look like a very similar mold to the Keitech Easy Shiners. I've got 4 of the Plano 3700 size and 5 of the Plano 3731 size storage boxes full of swimbaits in my boat and it is about to sink if I don't stop buying baits! :oops: I used to have a fast boat. :(

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:40 pm

One brand that never seems to get any mention is Lunker City. I like the Swimfish and have caught plenty of bass on them. If you go to their site and look, I bet you'll find some other interesting options too.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:32 pm

I'm all about the dippers. A skinny dipper rigged on the owner twistlock weighted hooks or even t-rigged is money. The little dipper is a great smaller presentation, works great for smallies, and is my #1 spinnerbait and chatterbait trailer. A War Eagle finesse spinnerbait with a little dipper trailer is dynamite!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:04 pm

I like the Skinny Dipper a lot as well. Great action no matter how its rigged. I use it weightless on top, with a Beast weighted hook, as a weedless swimjig, or on the back of a chatterbait or spinnerbait. I really like the profile it gives a chatterbait. Little Dipper has been good for swimjigs. Both are pretty durable baits when rigged with a little glue.

Basspastor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basspastor » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:10 pm

Havoc Grass Pigs and Grass Pig Jr's mostly for me.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:38 pm

3" big hammer and 3.5" Mc swimbaits. Been using them for over 10 years in fresh and salt. If i had to pick one of the newer styles, the little dipper is a nice bait. Durability is impressive for the action it creates.

I did pick up some easy shiners and fat impacts lately but haven't had a chance to try them. Easy shiners look boring but fat impacts look great...looking forward to trying both