Hollow Body Frogs: Taking on water

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Hollow Body Frogs: Taking on water

Post by Seph » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:31 pm

I have some hollow body frogs I have come across that are less than expensive, have great hooks, and I like the way they fish. On two trips this week I've caught more than 30 on this frog. The only real negative is that after 5 or 6 casts this bait begins to sink. A simple squeeze fixes this issue, but in an effort to remain cost effective I think I can glue the frog just behind the hook eye and it should take on less water. Has anyone out there tried this? What glues might anyone recommend. Most CA glues have negative effects on plastic.

P.S. I know there are lots of $8+ frogs out there that have 'welded' eyes and don't sink so much. I am not asking for your suggestion on what brand to throw. Just want to try to tweak these that I have.

Thanks

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Hollow Body Frogs: Taking on water

Post by hobobob » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:42 am

The idea is to minimize leaks under water, and introduce a new hole above water to let air escape for hooksets. Here is what I do. Tie a couple turn of braids to the nose To minimize leaks that way. Electric tape wrap to the shank of the hook to form a cork for the openning. Some will use silicone caulk / Silicone Sealant, but it's messy. Lastly, put a small horizontal slit on the back to the frog, near the butt area to let air escape during hook set.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:54 am

Seph wrote:I have some hollow body frogs I have come across that are less than expensive, have great hooks, and I like the way they fish. On two trips this week I've caught more than 30 on this frog. The only real negative is that after 5 or 6 casts this bait begins to sink. A simple squeeze fixes this issue, but in an effort to remain cost effective I think I can glue the frog just behind the hook eye and it should take on less water. Has anyone out there tried this? What glues might anyone recommend. Most CA glues have negative effects on plastic.

P.S. I know there are lots of $8+ frogs out there that have 'welded' eyes and don't sink so much. I am not asking for your suggestion on what brand to throw. Just want to try to tweak these that I have.

Thanks
I havent found the need to yet, but most people I know who glue them glue them up and put a pinhole in the top of the frog to let air escape. Not sure on what glue.

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:18 am

A few companies make frogs with independent air chambers to help mitigate water leakage. I just picked up a bunch of the new River2Sea Bully Wa II's and they look great. Will be trying them this weekend. Now the draw back i have noticed for all frogs of this style, except Ish's Phat Frog, is they aren't as soft. The original Bully Wa is by far my favorite frog. it's super soft and i think that was a huge contributor to it taking on water. the body was easy to compress, expelling air and taking in water.

A friend of mine used silicone sealant at the point where the hook shaft exits the frog body. Give that a whirl

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:44 am

I use good old fashion super glue. It's not permanent for this application, but what is? Apply generous and let it dry.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:08 pm

flex seal...and if u buy now, u get a 2nd bottle ABSOLUTELY FREE!!!!

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:35 pm

I just keep squeezing them. Takes 2 seconds every few casts, no big deal. Plus, no matter how well you seal them, water will still get in eventually. Then it's hard to get out all sealed up, especially the slit/hole method. It's going under water, and under compression when a fish grabs it, water is going to get in.
Easy in, easy out.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:41 am

Mend It or Spike It soft plastic glue are money on hollow belly frogs. Paint a few layers on in a flange type application around hook hole. Will not affect the collapsing of the frog on the bite but helps big time with keeping water out.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:54 am

from my original post:
Seph wrote:I am not asking for your suggestion on what brand to throw. Just want to try to tweak these that I have.
robchik04 wrote:A few companies make frogs with independent air chambers to help mitigate water leakage. I just picked up a bunch of the new River2Sea Bully Wa II's and they look great. Will be trying them this weekend. Now the draw back i have noticed for all frogs of this style, except Ish's Phat Frog, is they aren't as soft. The original Bully Wa is by far my favorite frog. it's super soft and i think that was a huge contributor to it taking on water. the body was easy to compress, expelling air and taking in water.
](*,)
Thanks for fully reading my original post in this thread. I am fully aware of the many brands of frogs out there with different floatation features. If you had read my post then you would have realized that I was hoping to have a discussion more about frog maintenance and repair than brand X is better than brand Y.

I do appreciate the suggestion of silicone, but If I wanted to have the discussion as you may see it I will go down to a McDonalds on Sunday afternoon and argue with old men about the merits of Ford and Chevy. :big grin:
Last edited by Seph on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:58 am

Update: I have tried Silicone glue and it works great. The 'leak' at issue was not the hook hole, but the weight hole. After fished for awhile the paint on these frogs comes loose from around the weight ring and allows water to seep inward. I have reglued the weight and am now having zero issues.

I haven't tried the pinhole suggestion yet, but its certainly an interesting idea.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:05 am

Chode wrote:flex seal...and if u buy now, u get a 2nd bottle ABSOLUTELY FREE!!!!
=D> =D> =D>
https://www.getflexseal.com/

HAHA. thanks for the suggestion, I was in need of a laugh.

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:32 pm

Some frogs take on water very fast and sink, some don t.

If you are searching for frogs which doesn't sink : booyah pad crasher / koppers live target /deps slither k / snag proof ish phat frog / ...

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 665 almostevil » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:38 pm

Seph wrote:Update: I have tried Silicone glue and it works great. The 'leak' at issue was not the hook hole, but the weight hole. After fished for awhile the paint on these frogs comes loose from around the weight ring and allows water to seep inward. I have reglued the weight and am now having zero issues.

I haven't tried the pinhole suggestion yet, but its certainly an interesting idea.
Silicone and super glue any brand. This is what i do with all of my frogs new and old. I put a couple drops of super glue on the weight. Then I straighten the eyelet and super glue that so it stays straight and allows your frog to walk more true. I will then take my silicone and take the point of the tube insert it in the body of the frog then squeeze some in to the body then some on the outside. Small amounts no need to get crazy. This will seal any frog out there till you catch a couple fish then the silicone will slip down the hook. But you can push it back up into the frag and use it like a cork. I would advise against using super glue to glue the body to the hooks that will rip your frog up faster.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:13 am

I have always though that frogs taking in water was normal an you just have to squeeze it out every 5 cast or so. I mainly use OSP frogs and sometimes the Deps ones, but the OSP frogs can go twice as long before i have to squeeze the water out. Isn't the ability to take in water supposed to help hook up ratio as it gets crushed down easier?

The OSP spintails work really good in my waters, i think it is because everyone is throwing the sliding type and they don't see a bladed frog often.

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:27 am

Not matter what kid of frog you have you will have to squeeze it eventually. I have Deps slither Ks and barely even have to squeeze them after fish catches. Nories NF60 and OSP skating frogs are great also