Mann's Reel N Shad

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Mann's Reel N Shad

Post by smalljaw » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:55 am

I just got an email about these, they look awesome in the water, basically a fluke that swims like a swim bait but no boot tail, just a regular split fluke tail. The deal is the thing is hollow in the center, it looks like someone took a fluke and carved the center of it out but it looks great swimming, I can see using it but I don't know what kind of durability there is going to be.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Mann's Reel N Shad

Post by Quillback » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:29 am

I like the way it looks and swims. I see myself tossing one around once the water warms up.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:55 am

Very nice. Could be great for trolling.

DaveJ

DammitKhoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DammitKhoa » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:38 pm

Just saw these today. It's a bit pricey but I guess it goes right on up there with the more top tier plastics. I'm not too sure how many are even in a pack. But it's sure innovative. Looks like great action too. Willing to try these as soon as they come out. Might just change the game for swimbaits.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:16 pm

I think the durability is the key. That being said, Manns plastic has always seemed to be of a more durable nature to me.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:32 am

DammitKhoa wrote:Just saw these today. It's a bit pricey but I guess it goes right on up there with the more top tier plastics. I'm not too sure how many are even in a pack. But it's sure innovative. Looks like great action too. Willing to try these as soon as they come out. Might just change the game for swimbaits.
The TW writeup says five total bodies, one pre-rig and 4 extra bodies.

DammitKhoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DammitKhoa » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:45 am

I missed that. thanks!

soulfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by soulfisher » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:50 am

Anyone try these yet? Thanks

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:08 am

I did and was disappointed. The tail wiggle does not activate until it is reeled at a fast speed. I had seen a video of the lure in which that did not seem to be true, but it must have been unlabeled slow motion. (I saw another complaint about the need-for-speed problem elsewhere, so I think it's a design problem.) I had hoped to use it for bottom-hopping on a standup head, thinking that it would look more natural at rest than a boot-tail minnow, but the tail doesn't activate on the fall. I won't be buying any more.

DammitKhoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DammitKhoa » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:12 am

Yup, I tried it too and couldn't get any action without tipping the rod myself. Felt like reeling in a flat piece of plastic. Sometimes I wonder how some of these designs make it to the market.. if it's that bad, the company's reputation is directly affected. Don't know what they were thinking.

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 665 almostevil » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Bronzeye wrote:I did and was disappointed. The tail wiggle does not activate until it is reeled at a fast speed. I had seen a video of the lure in which that did not seem to be true, but it must have been unlabeled slow motion. (I saw another complaint about the need-for-speed problem elsewhere, so I think it's a design problem.) I had hoped to use it for bottom-hopping on a standup head, thinking that it would look more natural at rest than a boot-tail minnow, but the tail doesn't activate on the fall. I won't be buying any more.

I have used them with limited success. The action does need speed to get going I found by jerking the bait then reeling it allows you to reel a little slower. This bait is a great idea just needs a little fine tuning by manns. Also When I fished it I had a couple short strikes on it. The hook is small due to the action of the bait. A longer hook will just hinder performance even further. I had my most success fishing it fast like burning a spinnerbait. One body caught two fish then lost all action.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:57 am

soulfisher wrote:Anyone try these yet? Thanks
I made about 3 casts with one, no wiggle whatsoever. Sure didn't swim like it did in the product video.