mend it bait glue

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

mend it bait glue

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:10 pm

Hey guys, I was thinking about ordering mend it but was wondering if any members have used it before and what baits it works well on. I don't live on the west coast and don't have many "big baits". Any experience positive or negative would be appreciated. This long winter is killing me!

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: mend it bait glue

Post by Farnorth » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:54 pm

I think it works really well. I use it for almost any soft plastic from bit up swimbaits to jig trailers that aren't staying on the hook any longer. You do have to give it a few minutes to set up so its not something you are going to be applying between casts. I fish for pike and walleye mostly and often baits come back in nearly bit in half. It has helped me to get a lot more use out of those baits as you just put them back together and put them back in use. It doesn't seem to leave a glue line or hard spot in baits like CA glue does.

The Mend It payed for itself the first time I fixed a $15 plastic swimbait. Well worth the purchase.

Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Inspectorlee » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:20 pm

I will echo the prior suggestion to use Mend-It glue. Every fisherman who uses soft plastics should buy a bottle, it really is that good. I've used regular super glue and even PRO's Soft bait glue (which was highly recommended, but doesn't compare). It is the only thing I've used that doesn't leave that hard spot behind. Regular super glue, PRO's Soft Bait glue, and others I've tried definitely leave a hard spot. Mend-it actually melts the plastic at first upon application, which freaked me out a little when I first used it. But if you then push/hold the pieces together for about 15-20 seconds, it sets up again. At this point, you can lay it down and let the lure rest for about 3-5 minutes. After that, it should literally be as good as new.

Again, it is not an instant repair so that you can immediately re-use the lure. But if you can wait the 3-5 minutes or so it takes, the repair is a true repair. I suggest practicing with some spare or damaged lures you have (just cut them in half and re-glue) so that you get used to the process. Again, if you have a lure that is torn nearly in half, when you first apply Mend-it, it will start dissolving the plastic on contact, don't freak out! Just press the pieces together after applying and wait a few seconds for it to set.

Just buy Mend-It, you'll thank all the people who recommended it. It's one of those fishing tools that seems like a revelation once you've experienced it firsthand.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:25 pm

love it...

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:18 am

Don't leave the house without it or Huddbond and super glue if you fish soft swimbaits. The early version in the plastic bottle dried up almost immediately. The glass bottle makes it last a lot longer. Make sure that you keep it in a cool place.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:46 am

Mend It's got a pretty gnarly odor but it works well. I use it on paddletails, Rage Craws, and Senkos.

kadas1
Angler
Angler

Post by kadas1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:21 am

I am a big fan of Mend it glue--has saved me a good bit of money with "mended" Yamamoto senkos =D>

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:07 pm

Yeah man just get it! The stuff is a must have for your soft baits, it works wonderfully. In fact, I'd pay like $25 for one of those little nail polish sized bottles, happily. That's how well it works.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:30 am

Great stuff. It's a wonder plastic manufacturers haven't bought them out and shut the factory down.

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:07 am

Mend it works really well I've been using it for years on yamma senkos since they rip so easily.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:48 pm

Ok time for me to switch it up a little. Mend-It does seem to have a life span in the bottle before it starts to turn. I currently have a bottle that has a real gelatinous consistency. I thought that maybe I didn't close the bottle properly (even though that's completely unlike me) but my buddy in Ga told me a couple of days ago that he went to open a previously unopened jar that he bought a couple of years ago and its like a rock.

Again, I'd happily pay 3 times as much as it costs at the beginning of every season if I had to so I'm not trying to bash it. I'm just saying that if you have a bottle lying around that you haven't used in a while, you might wanna check it to see if needs to be replaced before you need it.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:37 pm

I was told that the formula was similar to pvc glue. I've never tried it but just throwing that out there.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:57 pm

I agree with everyone. Certainly worth the purchase. If I waste a lure, which happens all the time because I like hand pours so much, then I toss it in a bag to bring home for Emergency Medical Procedures.
Last edited by GOOD YEAR 71 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:43 pm

It works great and a little bottle lats forever. I use it all the time, especially for senkos & soft plastic trailors that get torn up. I just bring in my torn up baits at the end of a trip and put it on let it sit overnight and I get more than double the use out of them.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Wed May 06, 2015 12:15 am

I have used this product and as described above it works very well, however I find that I never find the TIME to use this stuff. With the drying/curing times involved it is not something that can be used while the bait is on the hook. I have saved torn baits to repair at a later date, but never seem to get around to it. I don't fish a lot of Senkos or other top end plastics for this reason ( I use less expensive same shape alternatives).

This is a great product but I tend to just throw my fished plastics away at the end of the day because I am still trying to fish through my storage container of unfished baits.