Straight shank hook or EWG for light line?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
crankmaniac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Straight shank hook or EWG for light line?

Post by crankmaniac » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:42 am

Hi, I been using for years now ewg (Both standard and superline gamakatsu) style hooks with my baitcaster (medium and m/h power) to fish 5"senko with good results overall but when it come to fish this bait in open water on lighter line (copolymere 8lb cxx) and spinning tackle (st-croix 6'9" m/l power x-fast) i continu missing some fish that i am not suppose too :cry: with those ewg gamakatsu hooks (standard wire) , so i search for the best hooks option for lighter line application for that bait.I use the same rod and line set up for my shakey head with 7"finess worm and rarely miss a fish.I am thinking maybe a light wire straight shank hook (4/0 or 5/0) for t-rig a 5"senko will do better but i never try it . is it easier to set the hook on a light wire straight shank hook compare to a light wire ewg style hook for lighter line application??? :-k Give me your opinion and some hook option to get the job done please.Thank you in advance.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Straight shank hook or EWG for light line?

Post by USA-RET » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:36 am

A buddy I know swears by the Offset Shank O'Shaunessy Bend hooks. Claims the slimmer profile allows for a better hookset without the possibility of the EWG's tendency to flip sideways when bit. Don't know, but he out fishes me with them. ](*,)

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:14 am

You may think I'm crazy but when I use 8'b copolymer for 5" senkos on spinning tackle I use a regular wire 3/0 gammy EWG and it sticks them, the same thing with the Lazer Sharp Eagle Claw Black nickel worm hooks, the standard wire is pretty light until you hit 4/0. The problem is the 4/0 diameter is larger and it requires a little more force, you'll experience the same thing with standard J hooks with round bends unless you drop down to a 3/0.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:33 am

I've gotten away from the EWG hooks on stick baits/trick worms and others like it. I went back to using a standard offset hook. I've had noticeably better hook up ratios. Not sure if it's because the hook point is elevated a bit from the eye compared to the EWG making it easier to stick the fish.

I'm trying the Owners this year http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Of ... SW.htmlbut was using some Trokars last year.

3/0 and 4/0 are my preferred sizes…I've started dropping down the size of my hooks for most everything and improved on missed fish quite a lot. I'm looking forward to experimenting some more.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:03 pm

USA-RET wrote:A buddy I know swears by the Offset Shank O'Shaunessy Bend hooks. Claims the slimmer profile allows for a better hookset without the possibility of the EWG's tendency to flip sideways when bit. Don't know, but he out fishes me with them. ](*,)
This is the exact hook I was going to recommend, I use them when I fish worms, lizards, craws, etc on light spinning gear with fantastic results. My most used size is 3/0.

crankmaniac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by crankmaniac » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:48 am

John Puckett wrote:
USA-RET wrote:A buddy I know swears by the Offset Shank O'Shaunessy Bend hooks. Claims the slimmer profile allows for a better hookset without the possibility of the EWG's tendency to flip sideways when bit. Don't know, but he out fishes me with them. ](*,)
This is the exact hook I was going to recommend, I use them when I fish worms, lizards, craws, etc on light spinning gear with fantastic results. My most used size is 3/0.
I have the 4/0 size of the gamakatsu offset o'shaunessy hooks that use with 7" finess worm and lezard with good succes but i never try it on 5" senko , the senko just look a little too thick for this kind of hooks but maybe it is just me.Maybe the 5/0 size could be better.The only problem i have to go with the 5/0 size it is because the wire gauge become thicker wihich is not good for lighter line fishing.Like smalljaw said before it seem that the wire gauge goes much thicker after the 3/0 size.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:27 am

crankmaniac wrote:
John Puckett wrote:
I have the 4/0 size of the gamakatsu offset o'shaunessy hooks that use with 7" finess worm and lezard with good succes but i never try it on 5" senko , the senko just look a little too thick for this kind of hooks but maybe it is just me.Maybe the 5/0 size could be better.The only problem i have to go with the 5/0 size it is because the wire gauge become thicker wihich is not good for lighter line fishing.Like smalljaw said before it seem that the wire gauge goes much thicker after the 3/0 size.
I know the regular Gammy EWG in 3/0 don't look right to you on a 5" senko but trust me, it works great when using light line. I never have bass just grab them but the tail, in fact that worm is the only one that you don't have to let the fish have have it for a few seconds, most of time you do that they end up swallowing it. 3/0 Gammy EWG on 8lb line, you will lose very few as I've been doing it for years and I still use the 4/0 when I'm using my casting gear but when I drop down to spinning and light line I also drop hook size as I learned that from a friend who is a light line finesse enthusiast.

crankmaniac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by crankmaniac » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:09 am

smalljaw wrote:
crankmaniac wrote:
John Puckett wrote:
I know the regular Gammy EWG in 3/0 don't look right to you on a 5" senko but trust me, it works great when using light line. I never have bass just grab them but the tail, in fact that worm is the only one that you don't have to let the fish have have it for a few seconds, most of time you do that they end up swallowing it. 3/0 Gammy EWG on 8lb line, you will lose very few as I've been doing it for years and I still use the 4/0 when I'm using my casting gear but when I drop down to spinning and light line I also drop hook size as I learned that from a friend who is a light line finesse enthusiast.
I will defenitely try it.Thanks for the reply.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:12 am

If I can find them, or depending what I have on hand, I'll sometimes get a Gamakatsu straight shank round bend hook. I use them with worms and some smaller creature style baits that aren't too bulky. For some reason, those hooks are hard to find in local stores. I'd have to check TW to make sure they have them, I haven't bought any in a while.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:18 am

I should have added that I'm not sure my hookup ratio is better with them, though. It may depend where I'm fishing. There's a small lake I fish where the bass rarely hit the bait hard or with a typical "tap". They almost always lightly pick the baits up and run, and for some reason I feel like the straight shank hooks work better for not only hook sets but also letting them pick it up and hold it longer? But I could be making that up :)

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:12 pm

I have never used anything larger than the standard gamy 2/0 ewg and I have no issues landing or hooking fish. I live up north and don't deal with fish above the 5/6 lb range.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:34 am

I fish a lot of Yamamoto Grubs on 6lb CX line and use a Gammy EWG 1 or 1/0 hook with great success. Not often I dont get a solid hookset. As for Senkos, I'll use anywhere from a 1/0-4/0 depending on how much action I want from the worm and if the bass are being pressured or not. The 3/0 seems to be my go-to hook, again Gammy EWG style. Hardly miss any fish. I fish Senkos on 12lb line though.

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Fri May 02, 2014 5:23 am

You can try some Robo Rebarb hooks but the sizes are limited. Gama makes these but they add the bait keeper. Also I believe your rod may not have the needed power. I suggest you try a medium power fast action. I have several MLXF Croix rods and would not used them for Senkos except with open hook jig heads. 5" Senko is pretty heavy for that XF tip in my opinion.

ehh
Angler
Angler

Post by ehh » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Believe it it or not I use EWG 1/0 on 5 inch senkos. Just bend them out a bit. I don't understand the large sizes that many people use. A 5/0 is more than half the size of the worm. You'll catch a lot more fish with a 1/0.

bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bob75 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:34 pm

In general I do not like to use EWG hooks.

For 5" soft sticks I prefer a Gamakatsu Worm Hook in 5/0 that is modified for a wider gape. Also I add a better keeper as pictured. For 4" soft sticks I drop down to a 4\0 modified worm hook.

Also use the same hook for Baby Paca Craws and similar soft baits.

Have not had a problem with modified hooks breaking or bending, however in my part of the county it is unusual to catch a bass over 6#. And, when fishing with braid or heavy mono in dense reeds and pads I go to to a Gammy Heavy Cover Worm Hook for soft baits.
Attachments
5 ought Worm Hook.jpg
5 ought Worm Hook.jpg (62.21 KiB) Viewed 7729 times