favorite baits to texas rig

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
NJ Bass Fishing
Angler
Angler

Re: favorite baits to texas rig

Post by NJ Bass Fishing » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:36 am

do you think the texas rigs work better in place of jigs? no doubt youll catch more on a t-rig but I love the size of the bass I get on a jig

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:07 am

I throw a Texas rig a lot. Some of my favorite baits to use with an unpegged weight are a 4" Chiggar Craw, Zoom Finesse Worm, Lake Fork Baby Ring Fry, and 7" Powerworm. For heavier cover with a pegged weight, I like a Sweet Beaver or tube. Unweighted Senkos either Texas or wacky rigged can load the boat at times. If they are taking a jig well, I will always use one over a Texas rig because your average size fish is bigger on a jig. I use many different rods for Texas rigs and two of my favorites are the DX743 and DX744. The 743 is what I would use in the DX line if you are fishing light to moderate cover and open water. The 744 handles heavier cover and rigs up to 3/4 oz. The DX742 is really fun in light or no cover with Texas rigs under 3/8 oz(weight and plastic combined weight).

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:23 am

1. Fat Ika is my t-rigged favorite presentation. Open water, around trees, on weedmats, dragging across bottom, on the fall, rocks its very versatile. Its nearly 1/2oz as is so has some heft to get very good distance when needed.

2.The above goes to the Damiki Hydra as well it just has a slower fall and more fluid skirt movement. Northern Pike seem to favor them more than Ikas.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:38 am

I am with you on the Ikas. I always use center pin hooks on them to minimize ripping as best I can. I've ended up using 4/0 flipping hooks with a CPS to get a better hookup ratio than the wide gaps and to get more weedless, but both hooks work fine.

I used to weight them if I was deeper than 8 or so feet, but now I've just switched entirely to AT jigs or drop shot.

NJ Bass Fishing
Angler
Angler

Post by NJ Bass Fishing » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 am

are these baits on tackle warehouse? if not where can I buy some they look like something I would like to try

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Yes TackleWarehouse sells them.
WoodT somewhat alluded to it but just to put it out there these baits arent the most durable. Different style hooks can help/hinder in different manners. I use a small butane solder iron works very well to fix mine when they tear around the anchor points of the hook and get much more use out of them this way. I too have a product called mend-it like a bonding liquid but dont prefer that as much.
The body of the Hydra lasts longer than the body of the Ika and the skirt of the Ika lasts longer than the Hydra skirt. I will combine the used Ika skirt to the used Hyrda body making a Hydika to get more use out of them :)

Fat Ika
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Yamamoto ... -YAFI.html

Palm Tree
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Kinami_P ... -KPTR.html

Damiki Hydras
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Damiki_H ... -DHYD.html

antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by antoniolopez944 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:20 pm

I like to throw a baby brush hog watermelon flake with a 1/8 oz tungsten weight or a flirt 6.95 sprayed grass on a 4 /0 1/8 oz weighted hook.

greenpumpkin
Angler
Angler

Post by greenpumpkin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Zoom trick worm watermelon candy or green pumpkin with tungsten and gammy ewg hook.

Niven8
Angler
Angler

Post by Niven8 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:49 am

For me it's lake fork craw tube in open water and around cover it's a gambler ugly otter or a megastrike megabug

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:56 am

Its a 4inch beaver and either a 3/16 or 5/16 oz. tungsten slip sinker depending on the current or depth.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:58 am

D bomb and dolive craw

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Z-hogs and Hydras for me, but I'll try just about anything :D

saltlife7711
Angler
Angler

Post by saltlife7711 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:15 am

Zoom Trick Worms, Maniac Cutr Bugs, Tiki Stick Seinkos, have to be my favorite and most frequently fished for both Largemouth and Smallmouth.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:07 pm

I always have a rod with a 6.5 zoom worm or ultra vibe speed craw and another with a trick worm or fluke.