Best 12-15" worm

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
shallow thinker
Angler
Angler

Re: Best 12-15" worm

Post by shallow thinker » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:49 am

I'll second the Gambler 13 inch - any color works as long as it is black. I've thrown their 16 inch but only as a snake imitation with a fast retrieve. Zoom Ole Monster works too.

stalking coyote
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stalking coyote » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:32 pm

socal cranker wrote:I will second Uptons worms.
Uptons .. Hmmm.. :quiet:

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:36 am

You may be able to tell... Us west coast guys swear by josh upton's pours. Perfect for our deep clear water reservoirs...
And if you need a 19 inch custom, he's your guy.

MCS
Angler
Angler

Post by MCS » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:23 pm

I love fishing larger worms, so I thought I would revive this thread. I use the Gambler 10" and 13" ribbontail and the 9" ledge worms. Missile Tomahawk is my "finesse" ribbontail. I also have used the Deps deathadder 10" which has a massive body. I'll fish these texas rigged or shakey head. I am wondering about Fishoey Dogger Worms. I seen them on TW and started looking around, anyone use these? Colors look good. Wonder about how you liked the action, says it will stand on a shakey head.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:49 am

MCS wrote:I love fishing larger worms, so I thought I would revive this thread. I use the Gambler 10" and 13" ribbontail and the 9" ledge worms. Missile Tomahawk is my "finesse" ribbontail. I also have used the Deps deathadder 10" which has a massive body. I'll fish these texas rigged or shakey head. I am wondering about Fishoey Dogger Worms. I seen them on TW and started looking around, anyone use these? Colors look good. Wonder about how you liked the action, says it will stand on a shakey head.
shakey head? i've never even thought of trying it since i just assumed none of them float. what's been ur success shakey vs. trig?

MCS
Angler
Angler

Post by MCS » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:29 am

Chode wrote:
MCS wrote:I love fishing larger worms, so I thought I would revive this thread. I use the Gambler 10" and 13" ribbontail and the 9" ledge worms. Missile Tomahawk is my "finesse" ribbontail. I also have used the Deps deathadder 10" which has a massive body. I'll fish these texas rigged or shakey head. I am wondering about Fishoey Dogger Worms. I seen them on TW and started looking around, anyone use these? Colors look good. Wonder about how you liked the action, says it will stand on a shakey head.
shakey head? i've never even thought of trying it since i just assumed none of them float. what's been ur success shakey vs. trig?
The used the 10" gamblers and tomahawks this summer. Both have tails that are fairly buoyant. I caught fish on them but nothing of substantial size. :( but I was having a rough summer and it did work, I am going to keep at it. I just toss it around cover and rock it back and forth, the tomahawks are more "lively"..... That is what caught my eye about the dogger worm it has the quivering tail tip. I also am looking at getting some larger hook size shakey heads from either gambler or nichols to try.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:37 am

MCS wrote:
Chode wrote:
The used the 10" gamblers and tomahawks this summer. Both have tails that are fairly buoyant. I caught fish on them but nothing of substantial size. :( but I was having a rough summer and it did work, I am going to keep at it. I just toss it around cover and rock it back and forth, the tomahawks are more "lively"..... That is what caught my eye about the dogger worm it has the quivering tail tip. I also am looking at getting some larger hook size shakey heads from either gambler or nichols to try.
the megastrike might http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Megastri ... PROMD.html

imo best at making the worm stand

MCS
Angler
Angler

Post by MCS » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:52 am

Chode wrote:
MCS wrote:
Chode wrote:
the megastrike might http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Megastri ... PROMD.html

imo best at making the worm stand
Ok cool, thanks. I like that it doesn't fall over but how well does it impart action? Also the hook size? I was using 1/8oz 4/0 owner football shakey head and they rocked good. My only thing was I wanted a larger hook like a 5/0 or 6/0 and nichols makes it upto 8/0 on their screw ball. The other thing I liked about the Gambler was I could get a 5/0 in 3/32 oz, but now I know from the looks the gambler and nichols they will lay down on any slack in the line if not with a floating worm. There is a different trade off between all three of them. :-k

MCS
Angler
Angler

Post by MCS » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:55 am

The other thing I haven't tried because I just haven't but it has crossed my mind is rigging a Missile baits Dstroyer up on a shakey head since the tomahawk did well. I been waiting for the babies to be born but apparently late august means sometime in october maybe :lol:

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:58 am

MCS wrote:
Ok cool, thanks. I like that it doesn't fall over but how well does it impart action? Also the hook size? I was using 1/8oz 4/0 owner football shakey head and they rocked good. My only thing was I wanted a larger hook like a 5/0 or 6/0 and nichols makes it upto 8/0 on their screw ball. The other thing I liked about the Gambler was I could get a 5/0 in 3/32 oz, but now I know from the looks the gambler and nichols they will lay down on any slack in the line if not with a floating worm. There is a different trade off between all three of them. :-k
does't take away from the action at all. it doesn't rock like the owners since they utilize a round head but it's almost impossible to make this thing fall over. as far as hook size, the wide gap is def bigger but don't really know how i can quantify that for u

MCS
Angler
Angler

Post by MCS » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:02 am

Chode wrote:
MCS wrote:
does't take away from the action at all. it doesn't rock like the owners since they utilize a round head but it's almost impossible to make this thing fall over. as far as hook size, the wide gap is def bigger but don't really know how i can quantify that for u
Nice, sounds like it will do the trick then. I think the fact it stands is really a big plus over the others to me. Thanks

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:13 pm

Chode wrote:
Try the Xcite Maximus, while it is only 10" in length it's very bulky and attracts bites from bigger fish. This bait like most of their soft plastics is made in a buoyant no salt formula .

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:39 am

Im looking to use the Xcite brand when I return. I've been looking at using larger worms but last time I tired it it was with an Olmonster and I could not set the hook for nothing. What rod length / action are you using and reel ?

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:14 am

goldrod wrote:Im looking to use the Xcite brand when I return. I've been looking at using larger worms but last time I tired it it was with an Olmonster and I could not set the hook for nothing. What rod length / action are you using and reel ?
That's why I like a neko rig. ;) This was on a Diablo Spec-R. I usually use the FX-711X4 or the SRD, especially if shakey heading or tx rigging them.

soulfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by soulfisher » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:55 pm

If you can find the old Hawg Hunter or Lake Jackson worms, they have documented some monsters in years back and I believe they were the original big worm. When I went to school in Tallahassee many years ago, Red and Sams fish camp at Lake Jackson had them hanging on racks by the hundreds for $1.00 a piece and I still have a few. These were the ones that had the hooks and line threaded inside. Wish I would have loaded up on them. The few times they come up on auction, the aren't cheap.

Now i just solder power worms together as i like the slimmer girth for the hook to penetrate while getting more length out of them at the same time
Last edited by soulfisher on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.