What's your "go-to" senko color when....

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What's your "go-to" senko color when....

Post by joeyblackwood » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:19 pm

When none of the "ol-reliables" work? Like today I tried the tried and true Watermelon Red and Black-Flake, Green Pumpkin/Watermelon Laminate Black Flake, and Watermelon Green and Red Flake with no takers on any. Tried 5, 6, and 7 inch of all sizes. I fished them weightless texsposed and wacky-rig with all colors and sizes. To be honest, this is the first day since I started fishing senko's correctly (4 months or so), that I couldn't land a single fish on them. Couldn't use my 4 inchers today as they weren't heavy enough to go through the green muck. So when none of your best producing colors work, what is your sleeper color?

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What's your "go-to" senko color when....

Post by vinnieb729 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:32 pm

I don't change colors too much, I usually change baits. When I've had trouble with the Senko, I usually try the Swim Senko or a worm with a curly tail of some sort. Something that has some action too it gives me better results than changing Senko colors more than 2-3 times.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:53 pm

I've caught bass on every color thrown from natural bluegill imitating watermelon red flake to bubble gum and some weirder color I didn't think would work. I don't think they key on the color with Senko or they're imitations. It's all about the action and the salt content. You can literally grab what ever is available.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:56 pm

typically, I would change the bait. They might not be in the mood for a senko.

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:07 am

I did change baits, and got a few fish. Just really stumped me that I didn't get a single fish with a senko. Of all the expensive lures in my tackle box it has been the one constant that always produced at least one decent fish per outing.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:16 am

joeyblackwood wrote:I did change baits, and got a few fish. Just really stumped me that I didn't get a single fish with a senko. Of all the expensive lures in my tackle box it has been the one constant that always produced at least one decent fish per outing.
BAMA BUG is my go to color. Having said that my senko bite this whole year has been off. It still seems to get me one fish but thats about it. Ive went to Palm Trees and those have been my savoir bait this year. PT's have been my constant when senkos wont produce so much to where senkos are preety much staying in their package lately.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:17 am

It's not the color. No bait works all the time. The Senko is in rotation but most days something else works better. Don't get me wrong, at times its the best bait to throw but if they don't want a slow sinking bait you can't make them eat it. My go to color is green pumpkin/watermelon laminate but I think color has more to do with confidence and less to do with what the fish want.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:51 am

Junebug. What I used as a kid. I don't throw this much anymore but when in doubt it's the color I always reach for.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Green pumpkin with black or purple flake, either of those colors will work when the bite is off and the stick worm for me is my day saver bait, when nothing else is working the Senko can usually get bit. If you aren't getting bit on it then the bait isn't near any fish and I know you said you caught them on a different bait altogether but the truth is that if you find the fish are spread out and in a negative or neutral mood then you need to cover water and hope your bait gets close and if it does they will usually hit a stick worm.

emjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by emjay » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:05 am

that BAMA bug. roll tide!

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:52 pm

That bama bug color was a limited special edtion from yamamoto a while back. Could never get it on tacklewarehouse but now you can.
Last edited by Mang on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:52 pm

if i remember correctly they had like 4-6 packs of special edition colors.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:04 am

Like the others have mentioned, usually when your senko isn't getting bit, change lures not colors. Especially if you know that fish are in the area.

As for colors, I really like the Black/Blue Laminate(904) and Smoke/Watermelon Laminate(953). I want to try the Netbait Salt Lick and the new Keitech Salty Core. If the action on the Salty Core is as good as advertised, it will be an awesome bait.

Monsterbasshunter
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Monsterbasshunter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:44 pm

I have three different colors for different situations: variations in water clarity, bottom color, and light conditons. The colors are Baby Bass, Green Pumpkin and Black/ Blue Flake. If I know there are fish there and they aren't biting the Senko then I am throwing something else.

fletch616
Angler
Angler

Post by fletch616 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:45 am

Texpose a Yamamoto Shad Shape and use it like a jerkbait! I carry only senko's and shad shape in my plastics binder...when one doesnt work its an easy switch to the shad shap..start jerking them..youll be amazed at the fish you catch and the action of this little bait. Like everyone else is saying..its not the color of the lure.