Roboworms no longer catches fish in socal

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Roboworms no longer catches fish in socal

Post by Tokugawa » Fri May 10, 2013 9:17 pm

joeyblackwood wrote:Wow that looks exactly the same shape of an Aruku shad!
Spro picked a good one to copy - no? :big grin:

Roboworms still work here in Ohio...although Dick's sporting goods has them now, so I suspect the popular colors may wane in efficacy.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat May 11, 2013 1:46 am

Tokugawa wrote:
joeyblackwood wrote:Wow that looks exactly the same shape of an Aruku shad!
Spro picked a good one to copy - no? :big grin:
You do realize Spro's parent company is an OEM factory just like River2Sea don't you? ;)

And have you ever seen a RiserBacker? So... who's allegedly copying whom? ;)

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat May 11, 2013 2:17 am

The Buzzer Beater is an Evergeen bait tho. :?

I have not seen a Riserbacker. Google has no pics of one...what does it look like?

chriso916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chriso916 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:54 pm

That's a bold statement. There's a degree of accuracy here since robos have been heavily fished over the past few years. However, there's still lakes and areas of the river that are productive with robos in both San Diego and the greater LA/S CA region.

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Sat May 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Went all scientific today. Tried robos and red eye shad for 3 hours today.......nothing. Switch to Aruku and caught 6 within an hour in the same spots with same action. Haven't found a good alternative to roboworm yet. Anyone try those "squirrel" worms?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Risebacker 1-Knocker

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri May 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanks Van! Found the Risebacker...nothing for Riserbacker tho. ;)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat May 25, 2013 2:13 am

Maybe a typo on Cal's part?

Unless, there is a "RiserBacker"?

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat May 25, 2013 3:02 am

Exactly - it was a typo. :lol:

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:33 pm

When ever I read or hear someone say, X lure doesn't catch fish anymore in X body of water because the lure was used to death, I'm guilty of that myself, I think of stick worms (senko's). Stick worms are used to death everywhere and they still catch a lot of fish.

I believe is more of a water clarity change, forage size, something along that line.

Just my 2 cents

fish10x
Angler
Angler

Post by fish10x » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:41 pm

They no longer work in socal that seems odd to me? Something doesnt smell rite here.

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:31 am

LPFC wrote:When ever I read or hear someone say, X lure doesn't catch fish anymore in X body of water because the lure was used to death, I'm guilty of that myself, I think of stick worms (senko's). Stick worms are used to death everywhere and they still catch a lot of fish.

I believe is more of a water clarity change, forage size, something along that line.

Just my 2 cents
Senko is one lure I have been experimenting with lately, and I will have to say, it far exceeds the realm of possibilities of a roboworm. I have been able to go to the same pressured waters mentioned in the OP and land quality fish with senkos. I feel the reason being that most people are cheapskates and have stopped buying the original senkos in favor of the cheaper versions which let's be honest, have a much different fall rate, action, taste, texture, smell, and durability. YES the other offerings last MUCH MUCH longer than an original senko, but I outfish my counterparts again and again in the same waters due to the taste test. I fish many areas where sight fishing is easy and I notice both senkos and knockoffs get bit initially at the same rate, the difference is, the fish do not spit out the senkos after the initial chew like they do the knockoffs. In fact, 9/10 they grab the senko, chew, then take off with it. Therefore, the hookup ratio far exceeds that of the knockoffs. If I had the ability to sight fish at every fishing whole, I myself would love to use mostly knockoffs to save the extra scratch, but we all know on overcast days and early mornings and evenings sight fishing is very difficult. I have a similar taste issue with Zoom super flukes. I need a "tastier" alternative because on sight fishing analysis, I get bit quite often, but the fish do the "bite and spit" method they use on the knockoff senkos. I am considering the senko D-shad and or Gulp jerk shad. Anyone have better hookup rates with these than the flukes?

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:18 am

I don't know what a fluke tastes like to a fish, but I have a terrible hook-up rate with them.

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:10 pm

mikeysam wrote:I don't know what a fluke tastes like to a fish, but I have a terrible hook-up rate with them.
Same here, I use the Zoom flukes just to locate the fish since I can fish them faster than the senko. Then I toss the senko in to catch them, since the fluke just gets taps and rarely any hookups.

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tH3_Guy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:37 pm

U guys giving fish too much credit to adapt. So stick bait n spinnerbait should all have been played out too huh?

I fish a pond close to my house and have caught several bass there at least 4x using same spinnerbait and crankbait.

How do i know? There arent too many fish there and its a small pond. Its mouth is all ripped and bloody looking.

One fish has a scar