Pastics for Punching the CA Delta

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Birdi23nls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Pastics for Punching the CA Delta

Post by Birdi23nls » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:03 am

Last year I ran into alot of problems throwing the beavers and such and while trying to punch threw matts The hook is putting holes in the plastics, and in turn the hook get hung upeverytime it goes through. Is there a thicker more durable plastic to buy? Are there any other tricks of the trade to help with this probem

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Pastics for Punching the CA Delta

Post by tH3_Guy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:31 pm

Yes, try berkley slop craw! Its stupid and lame looking but boi does it hold up!

I might also experiment with owner puncing twistlock hook. Maybe not having it slide the whole hook through plastic, it may help using other plastics. Just a thought that has cross my mind lately.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 pm

I can't help on the plastics part but I will add that the Owner TwistLOCK flipping hook is a very very good hook. I have stopped using any other hook at all except these when flipping/punching. They made a real improvement in my flipping, they've worked well with any plastic I've tried so far. Before giving up on beavers try them with this hook.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:34 pm

What hook are you currently using and how are you rigging it? I have personally found that the beaver is one of the best punch baits because of its durability and it gets but well.

When punching, I do not push the hook barb out of the plastic like I do when I "tex pose" other Texas rigs. Leave the hook point buried in the platic. With the force of a decent hookset on heavy gear, you'll penetrate the plastic pretty easily.

I am currently using the RI BMF hook or the Gamakatsu Heavy cover hook with the RI shrink tube keeper. Usually 4/0 or 5/0.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat May 04, 2013 4:19 pm

Sweet Beaver is one of the best baits for punching. I've also had good luck using the Chigger Craws. Although both are relatively 'soft', I've been happy with how they've worked. Paycheck hook is my #1 although I've got a few packs of the Gami Super Heavy Cover. I do the same as capt1fish - tip of hook is still in plastic not pushed thru & pulled back in.

Z-Hog seems to be a little tougher plastic. Tried those last year & will continue to experiment with them. Planning on trying some of the new Paca Punch too.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Mon May 06, 2013 8:17 am

The Slop Craw from Havoc will solve that issue. It's a well designed bait and excels at punching.