3 & 4 Inch Senko fo Dropshotting

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Jigger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

3 & 4 Inch Senko fo Dropshotting

Post by Jigger » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:56 am

What do you guys think about the Senko for Dropshotting? I am leaning towards the 3" Slim Senko Texas Rigged in the weeds and on the edges. What colors and any other advice would be appreciated. Jim

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 3 & 4 Inch Senko fo Dropshotting

Post by steve1206 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:33 am

I have drop shotted the 5" Slim in Green Pumpkin on Table Rock...It works...Thats actually what Todd Faircloth won the Elite event on at the Rock. Down side--one fish per bait when they are nose hooked. I think every fish I have ever hooked on it drop-shotting has come to the top, one head shake, and there goes the bait....Yamamoto marketing plan, right?? :lol:

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:42 am

It works but i prefer longer and action of lighter plastics like roboworm.
Let's go fishing!!!

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:32 am

3" and 4" senko-type baits are about all I use drop shotting for smallies anymore. I buy knock offs from Cristopherson's ($15/100 ct bag) which work just fine for drop shotting. Sometimes with smallies, it seems like less is more action-wise, and the senko type baits are exactly the right size. I nose hook since I'm not around weeds really, but T-rigged is fine too.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:21 am

I DS wacky senko's and it works great. I hate waiting for the senko to fall since its ever so slow in deeper water so the DS setup keeps it right where I "think" the ideal strike zone is for the fish. I can fish it close to bottom still having it flutter slowly down with out making cast after cast to cover water.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:23 am

steve1206 wrote:I have drop shotted the 5" Slim in Green Pumpkin on Table Rock...It works...Thats actually what Todd Faircloth won the Elite event on at the Rock. Down side--one fish per bait when they are nose hooked. I think every fish I have ever hooked on it drop-shotting has come to the top, one head shake, and there goes the bait....Yamamoto marketing plan, right?? :lol:
Gotta spend money to make money.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:45 pm

legendaryyaj wrote:
steve1206 wrote:I have drop shotted the 5" Slim in Green Pumpkin on Table Rock...It works...Thats actually what Todd Faircloth won the Elite event on at the Rock. Down side--one fish per bait when they are nose hooked. I think every fish I have ever hooked on it drop-shotting has come to the top, one head shake, and there goes the bait....Yamamoto marketing plan, right?? :lol:
Gotta spend money to make money.
actually the cheap knockoffs that sink slower due to lower salt content are more ideal for this. i find a senko needs a little lift every few seconds to stay horizontal, but cheaper slow sinking stick baits are more ideal for nose hooking a DS.
That being said, it's hard to beat a 5" red laminate shad on a DS when smallies are cruising in shallow water and a little spooky.
Set hard and set often

prairiedog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by prairiedog » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:27 am

I agree with the above. They work, but they don't last. Besides, you lose a lot of that classic Senko action when it's not falling or moving.

Extract0r
Angler
Angler

Post by Extract0r » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:57 am

Senkos might be too heavy and look unnatural when rigged for dropshot.
Handpour worms that float are ideal for dropshots.

nsfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nsfisher » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:51 pm

muskyhunter wrote:It works but i prefer longer and action of lighter plastics like roboworm.
Agree finese worms in watermelon red

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:39 am

Extract0r wrote:Senkos might be too heavy and look unnatural when rigged for dropshot.
Handpour worms that float are ideal for dropshots.
Yep for nose hooking it's better to use more buoyant baits like roboworms, gives a better action.

But, wacky drop shotting a slim/thin senko is very effective. On some days "wacky drop shot" will outfish any nose hooked presentation.

october
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by october » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:55 am

i drop shop wacky rig yamamotos all the time. great bait great presentation

andrey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by andrey » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:27 am

come on steve, you know better than that. i love the yamamoto senko, its the only brand i throw. works all the time,if i am on fish they bite it. my buddies try switching it up and go buy the 2 dollar walmart brand and wonder they dont work. there is something special about yamamoto senko that we all cant deny, sure they are pricey and dont last long but fish in the boat is all that matters. i have caught 2 to 4 lb bass on broken senkos,half senkos and have actually took two broken pieces and wacky rigged them together and it still worked.
so dont be hatin [-X