Hot Weather Storage Question

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Hot Weather Storage Question

Post by Texas_bullet » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:23 am

I have my plastics in 16 plastic shoeboxes as well as the large BPS binders. These were stored indoors, but She Who Must Be Obeyed (hereafter called "wife") objected to the strong odor escaping. =; So now they are in a shed attached to the garage. We are experiencing a near record string of 100 + degree days and I am very concerned that some of these plastics are going to melt down. 8-[ Does anyone have an idea about the risk involved? I have a lot of money at risk....lots of high price GYB, Grande Bass, Reaction Innovation, R2Sea, paddletail swimbaits, etc. :-k
Thanks for any ideas....TB

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Hot Weather Storage Question

Post by stykbowslim » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:43 am

I store all my plastics in their original bag and place the bags inside a two-gallon heavy zip-lock bags... I had some plastics stored in the boat and they started to melt and stick together... I moved them all indoors in my Man Cave :big grin: as my grand-daughter calls it.

artiea
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by artiea » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:52 am

I had to move all my stuff into a shed-or buy a bigger house-been in there for several months in 100& heat, no problem yet. No fishing line or high dollar import baits out there though

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:01 am

artiea wrote:I had to move all my stuff into a shed-or buy a bigger house-been in there for several months in 100& heat, no problem yet. No fishing line or high dollar import baits out there though
I've kept reels in my car for a week or two at a time in the So Cal heat. The line didn't seem to get adversely effected despite the 120 degrees it can get inside there. I have had a credit card melt though!

The rest of my stuff is in the garage. The only times I've had baits melt are from reactions to other types of plastics.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:28 am

Put your worm bags in ziplock bags, then put them in a tub with a lid that snaps shut. For extra odor protection put an old sock with coffee grounds inside with the end of the sock tied shut in the tub also and no offensive odors will escape to offend the wife, then you can store them inside for the summer.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:33 am

spenserinstl....coffee grounds, huh? Never heard of that for absorbing odors. I have tried putting my shoeboxes in large storage tubs, but stink still got out. Thanks for the suggestion.....might give it a try.
TB

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:45 am

yep coffee grounds work good. When I was in the army getting ready to move, someone told me to put a sock with coffee grounds in my fridge and deep freeze so it wont grow mold or be all nasty smelling by time they got delivered to my next place. Worked like a charm absorbed the moisture and just smelled like coffee when they got delivered by the movers, no nasty musty smell. At work they put some paint brushes in the fridge to keep them from drying out, but after the whole fridge smelled like paint. A sock with coffee got rid of that smell too.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:57 am

spenserinstl, thanks again!
TB

october
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by october » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:17 pm

keep all my gear in a garage thats well over 115 degrees constantly here in the IE, CA. never an issue with anything.