Fishing French Fries

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fishing French Fries

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Anyone have any tips or techniques for fishing this style plastic? I ordered some custom hand-poured plastics from Next Level Lures and received them today...they look great. But anyway, along with that order I decided to try some 4" french-fry style baits. How do you rig them? How do you fish them? When do you fish them? Thanks.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Fishing French Fries

Post by cjtoad » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:28 pm

Carolina rig all to way. I haven't fished a fry in years, I might have to pick some up and start throwing them again. Thank's for the inspiration.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:34 pm

French fries are lethal any way you rig them.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Wacky or texas. I got more hits with wacky though. The draw back with texas rig is figure how to burry the hook w/o changing the shape of the worm.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:51 pm

:oops: i never even owned a french fry bait i think....... i'll have to add them to my wacky arsenal now!

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:06 am

Carolina rig them. They were very popular that way in Texas and were responsible for many bass (and some big ones) for many years but seem to have fallen out of use as people have tried new deep water stuff like drop shopping, football jigs, etc..

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassboss » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Never had a fish sniff em on a wacky rig. It seems like they'd be great, but no wiggle at all! ](*,) I've heard they work really well on a Carolina rig, and plan I trying em out on a c-rig probably tommorow! ;)

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:45 pm

I like to texas rig them on a 2/0 Gamakatsu offset hook and put a nail weight in the other end. I like to fish them in the summer when the water clears up. Will work anytime but I usually use them when the bite is tough. Putting the nail weight on the opposite end from the hook will cause the french fry to glide backwards towards the fish or cover after you lift the bait and let it sink, the this will entice a bite big time. Some like to use a bigger hook but I like a lighter wire smaller hook, the fish can't feel the hook till its too late. My favorite color is watermelon with red flake.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

sofinesse
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sofinesse » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:36 pm

I use french fries for split shotting :]

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:38 pm

spencerinstl wrote:I like to texas rig them on a 2/0 Gamakatsu offset hook and put a nail weight in the other end. I like to fish them in the summer when the water clears up. Will work anytime but I usually use them when the bite is tough. Putting the nail weight on the opposite end from the hook will cause the french fry to glide backwards towards the fish or cover after you lift the bait and let it sink, the this will entice a bite big time. Some like to use a bigger hook but I like a lighter wire smaller hook, the fish can't feel the hook till its too late. My favorite color is watermelon with red flake.
I might have to try the nail weight on this thing. Thanks.

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:26 pm

spenceristi nailed it, this rig can save the day. It glides backward after you lift it, fish hate that 8-)

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:49 am

I have done well using it on a 1/8 oz. slider head during tough conditions and cold water.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:43 am

Does it matter if it's hook on the flat bottom or the crinkled side?

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:08 am

I like the ones from McDonalds myself.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:40 pm

darrin wrote:Does it matter if it's hook on the flat bottom or the crinkled side?
Rig it with the flat bottom down, I usually pull the end of the french fry over the eye of the hook to help keep it from sliding down the hook. The flat bottom along with a nail in the end is what makes the french fry glide through the water.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious