New KVD Sexy Frog

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New KVD Sexy Frog

Post by pharmboy2010 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:35 pm

I had heard rumors that SK was coming out with this frog at ICASt. However, when I stopped by BPS after work this evening, they already have them in stock (not all colors yet). Picked up a couple and upon initial inspection, these look pretty good. They are kind of a cross between a Koppers (have the little front legs), Spro and Tru-Tungsten. Good colors, soft body (again not as soft as a Koppers or the newer Tru-Tungstens, but softer than a Spro), good hooks (doesn't say, but appears to be Gammies), internal rattle and a drain hole like a Tru-Tungsten. They retailed for $8.99.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New KVD Sexy Frog

Post by damian_megabass » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:10 am

Never knew KVD frogged.....

Thought he was all jigs, crank and spinnerbaits..... 8-[

Seems like SK and other mfg's slapped KVD on their products ppl will run with it...and it seems to work. Not bagging on SK themselves but the only KVD thing I have are his square bills and so far not good. Haven't caught anything on the 1.5 or 2.5's.
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SC Bassin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:31 am

Follow the money, it leads to KVD! :)

Basspastor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basspastor » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:41 am

Designed and approved by Kevin Van Dam, the Strike King KVD Sexy Frog is the finest, feature-packed frog style bait ever from Strike King. Perfect for heavy cover and open water applications, it features a super sharp Gamakatsu hook, a soft collapsible body, and fully sealed nose to minimize water entry. Available in range of proven colors, the Strike King KVD Sexy Frog is also equipped with a free-floating rattle for excellent sound emission.
Here is the description from TW. TW has 10 colors, but they don't give a lure weight. TW has them for $7.99
Bass Pundit Blog

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:45 pm

LOL! Knock off Spro colors. How how sad.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:16 am

legendaryyaj wrote:LOL! Knock off Spro colors. How how sad.
I just saw them today @ BPS and totally agree, cant you @ least come up with some original colors?? And the internal rattle is going to get in the way of hook sets, just like the original TT. Just squeezing the frog the rattle would get trapped right where i was squeezing and would not allow the hook to be exposed, not every time, but way too often, and it will be very difficult to remove without cutting the bait, another epic fail. Paycheck or RI needs to make the swamp donkey again, please [-o< [-o<
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:27 am

It is all about the money. He has made SK so much money it's sick. How many frog colors do you need guys? Seriously... They made it for the money he will bring in and because they know a lot of people are brand oriented and if you fish all SK cranks and you love them and think they are high quality for a good price then why not buy a frog made from them. Look at the plastics and the jigs in the last few years. I remember when I was growing up I thought SK was a spinnerbait brand only. Now look they are in everything and make great products in all lines. Not to mention they have the greatest bass angler on their prostaff. Wouldn't you slap his name on a product to sell more?

P.S. I fish mostly Series 3 and 5's and love their triple bladed buzzbait.

ww2farmer
Angler
Angler

Post by ww2farmer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:08 am

I have caught some fish already on the KVD frog. I usually use the Spro, but i just wanted to try them. They walk fine, just as easy as the Spro IMHO, they also take on far less water (at least new out of the package) than a Spro does new straight out of the package. They are about the same size as the regular size Spro, and they seem to be well made, have what looks to be the same exact hook as the Spro, and the come in colors I like. I also like that they have a rattle, I really used to love that the Snag Proof "Bobby's Perfect Frog" had a rattle, and I think it helps in heavy weeds and/or off color water. I quit using the Snag Proof because they just seemed to fall apart fast, and went with the Spro insted, but every time I ever tried to add a rattle to a Spro, it made it sit in the water funny, or not walk right, or both. Will I replace my Spros with them? Maybe, but probably not. But for a buck or two cheaper they are a good frog, and give me a frog with a rattle for when I feel I need one. BTW I would have bought them even if they didn't have KVD's name on them :lol:

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:58 am

What size and type of hook is in the KVDfrog?
Fish on!