dahlberg diving frog

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
tjmaniac
Angler
Angler

dahlberg diving frog

Post by tjmaniac » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:34 am

just bought the new dahlberg diving frog in the color lime, tied it onto 40 lb. braid cast it out once and caught a 16"lmb on the first throw. can't beat that for RECOMMENDING this frog. IT'S AWESOME!

oh ok
Angler
Angler

Re: dahlberg diving frog

Post by oh ok » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:59 am

Awesome! I just picked up two myself, the black and the lime. I havent caught anything yet ( I havent got to fish for more than 20 minutes with it) BUT it is fun to work it and watch/make it swim. Its crazy how far down you can make it go too!

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:18 am

I have a couple of these on my "to buy" list. Closest thing to a real frog I've ever seen. The single exposed hook has to increase hookups tremendously.

I'll wait for the TW 4th of July sale. I notice you can buy directly from Dahlberg and get the replacement legs as necessary.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

db220
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by db220 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:52 pm

I bought one. I plan on throwing it in the Delta on July 4th weekend!

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:51 pm

db220 wrote:I bought one. I plan on throwing it in the Delta on July 4th weekend!
Any luck on it? How did it go?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:09 am

Took advantage of the holiday sales and ordered way too much stuff :D Three of the Dahlberg frogs are in the order... waiting to get them and put them to the test.

emjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by emjay » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:00 pm

the butt sits lower than the head and the plastic legs float so that makes for a slight "v" stance. when you crank it down, pause, crank, pause crank the frog looks absolutely amazing tho. no fish yet but just wanted to test its action.

NickN
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NickN » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:00 pm

How do the legs hold up after multiple catches. They look like they would easly break?

tjmaniac
Angler
Angler

Post by tjmaniac » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:23 am

so far i've caught 4 fish with this frog and thrown it alot around lily pads and other slop including pickerel weed. i haven't needed to change the legs yet although they are showing some signs of wear. the frog comes new with an extra set of legs and a tool to put them on and thank god with instructions as well. hope that helps. i love this frog!

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:16 pm

I fished the LD frog the other day... no fish, but it is an awesome looking bait as it swims through the water. I was fishing from shore when I casted across the water and too far into the bushes... the frog came loose OK, however the legs stayed in the bushes ](*,)

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:23 pm

i have 2 of 'em...haven't even tied one on..... sounds like i have been missing out; just so dang hard not to stick with my black spro frog

db220
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by db220 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:18 pm

I threw it on July 4th weekend. It looked great but I didn't catch anything. Of course it was over 10o degrees and I didn't catch anything on any other bait either :)

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:38 pm

I have the brown one.
Tied it on after the topwater frog bite died 30 minutes before.
First cast messing with it seeing what I could do with it I started reeling it in and paused it... Nice 2.5lb lmb pounded it. Threw it a while longer and no love. If you reel it med or faster speed it swims to one side.
It looks so so soo sick but hard to throw that frog when the hollow's are so proven.
Also have to work it pretty slow...

nycgrip
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nycgrip » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:08 pm

any issues with it melting with other plastics or in the tackle box?

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:51 pm

nycgrip wrote:any issues with it melting with other plastics or in the tackle box?
yes actually

The legs got much softer after a day in the back of the kayak in a smoke tinted plano tackle box. Eventually, the plastic got so thin, a small hole appeared right at the kneecap joint on the leg of the frog. That being said the legs will get sticky before the holes actually appear.

At least it came with a back-up pair of legs, I learned the hard way. Now I dont even take it unless I really plan on hitting up a good froggin area...and when I do plan on using it, its tied on a rod.
stress-what happens between fishing trips