Mann/s Jelly Worms

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Mann/s Jelly Worms

Post by Pegasus » Sun May 29, 2011 1:38 am

Just wondering
If anybody out there has ever used Mann's jelly Worms I heard that they were very popular in south Texas !

bassdawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Mann/s Jelly Worms

Post by bassdawg » Sun May 29, 2011 2:44 am

I use to use these a long time ago .Was a very good producer for me . I always had luck with purple .Now i use newer baits but none produce more than the jelly worm.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun May 29, 2011 9:30 am

They were really good producers, in fact Manns had some real good baits that have been discontinued that I'd love to see made again like the Manipulator worms and grubs and the Dragin worms, they were awesome! I still use the Auger tail worm, an excellent worm to use in and around grass but the Jelly worms were a simple design that the fish liked and if I'm not mistaken, they were one of the first to use scent in the plastic.
Barlow's Tackle

lmartinez
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lmartinez » Sun May 29, 2011 10:40 am

the manns Manipulator worms was a great worm great tail action i use to use the 7iinch and 10 inch ones the tail looked like a snake going thru the water 8-) len

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun May 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Tackle warehouse has the jelly worms they look like they don't weigh much how would you rig them

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon May 30, 2011 12:27 am

Pegasus wrote:Tackle warehouse has the jelly worms they look like they don't weigh much how would you rig them
Basic Texas rig with the weight used determined by depth and cover.
Barlow's Tackle

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon May 30, 2011 1:45 am

Yes, I too used them many years ago (too many). Blueberry and grape were the big producers for me, as were the blackberry. I remember how great they smelled.

I believe Harry and Charlie were partial to the "Scuppernong "jelly worms, when they took the ol' stump-jumper to those Swamp Gas Corner "honey holes". :D BTW Don't forget to pack some "Nabs" and "Moonpies" for a shore lunch. :lol:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Tue May 31, 2011 6:03 am

Used to use them too awhile back. Mostly the 6" size. Grape, chocolate, and chocolate/ firetail were good on the tidal rivers around here. Like alot of other great baits, they get forgotten or replaced over the years as new products emerge. They made a blackberry with white polka dots that was killer on the James River in VA. Was a pretty well kept secret in our club back in the day.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:24 am

I started using them last year after I saw the Paul Elias video on youtube where he murdered them down on Falcon or Amistad a few years back.

They work great but I never really got the "jelly" smell. They just smell like plastic to me and you get a bunch in a pack. I've been using the black grape in 9" and done well.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:13 am

ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO SMELL LIKE JELLY ?

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:11 pm

I never fished them. I want to try the 12 inch.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:52 am

USA-RET wrote:Yes, I too used them many years ago (too many). Blueberry and grape were the big producers for me, as were the blackberry. I remember how great they smelled.

I believe Harry and Charlie were partial to the "Scuppernong "jelly worms, when they took the ol' stump-jumper to those Swamp Gas Corner "honey holes". :D BTW Don't forget to pack some "Nabs" and "Moonpies" for a shore lunch. :lol:

As well as the potted meat. :lol:

mrbassky1
Angler
Angler

Post by mrbassky1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:00 am

Many old school country boys grew up on Jelly Worms. My dad swears by them for night fishing. I just ordered him some in black grape his favorite color.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:50 am

I got a bag of the 12" black Grape which now come with the hard nose feature so they stay on the hook very well
I couldn't believe when my son caught a 8" bass on this 12" monster I guess there is something to these worms
I mean this thing looks like a snake going through the weeds.
I think next time I try it I am going to remove the paddle tail it kind of works against the cast a little bit it catches the wind and it slows down some what.

Regards