How to Beaver ?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
FishEastCarolina
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

How to Beaver ?

Post by FishEastCarolina » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:09 am

I have read on here time and time again about sweet beavers from RI and othe brands, and I gotta try em. I got some netbait B-Bugs but i just wanna know how you guys sling em. Colors? Technique? Situation?

thanks,
FishEC
new day the same way

rugbyfisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: How to Beaver ?

Post by rugbyfisherman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:38 am

I usually flip mine. Pockets in heavy cover and around docks, mid-day when the sun is out and the bass are using cover and shade for ambush. I make my own beaver type bait but I usually go for a natural color: a green pumpkin color, or something like RI houdini. They can also be used effectively on a simple texas rig fished much like you would a t-rigged worm or on a shakey head! They are very versatile

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:01 am

rugbyfisherman wrote:I usually flip mine. Pockets in heavy cover and around docks, mid-day when the sun is out and the bass are using cover and shade for ambush. I make my own beaver type bait but I usually go for a natural color: a green pumpkin color, or something like RI houdini. They can also be used effectively on a simple texas rig fished much like you would a t-rigged worm or on a shakey head! They are very versatile
Second that on the rigging.
i most flip them on a pegged texas rig, with a 3/0-4/0 extra wide gap Gammy hook.
I like dark colors, black neon, junebug, black&blue, but a watermellon red is good too. :big grin:
If the top tail is not split by the factory then pull it appart, it helps me get more strikes.

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:21 am

The 4.20 RI Sweat Beaver is my primary plastic when flipping and punching. Use it on 65 lb. braid w/ a #4/0 EWG Gammy and 3/4-1 1/2 0z. wt. pegged for punching and 1/8-1/2 oz. for flipping depending on the situation. Colors I use most are Okeechobee, California 420 and black/blue.
Last edited by SteveDB on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:24 am

I've been using them as trailers. The smallie beaver on a 3/16oz finesse jig is killer!

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:55 pm

I shoudn't say this, but for your Beaver to work, you gotta get it wet! :lol:

Seriously, it will work in almost any capacity that you use it. Texas rigged, flipped, pitched, as jig trailer, the list goes on...

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Like everyone else says: flipping, pitching, punching, jig trailer, etc.

If you're flipping or punching then I would recommend a 4/0 Punch Hook.

When using the beaver style bait as a jig trailer you can thread the beaver on whole or you can cut off about a half inch from the top and thread it on to make it more compact.

bhyatt6
Angler
Angler

Post by bhyatt6 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:45 am

I flip and Pitch them around docks and laydowns... colors: Green Pumpkin with a purple or red flake or black with a blue flake... last year i caught ohhh a good 60% of all my fish on a sweet beav... Excellent bait.

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:38 am

bassbandit wrote:I shoudn't say this, but for your Beaver to work, you gotta get it wet! :lol:
Nothin but the truth there. 8-)

spicytuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spicytuna » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Beavers are my favorite plastic bait as they are versatile and catch fish. I will flip them in heavy cover, punch mats, or fish the flats. I will use them as jig trailers, T-rig, or sometimes fish them nearly weightless with a small splitshot a few inches above the bait. In the daytime, I like watermelon seed and watermelon candy. At night time, black w/ blue flake or black w/ red flake fished with a small splitshot is killer for me. I used to use Sweet Beavers but lately I've been throwing some custom poured beavers by a friend. They have a more natural presentation and appearance since the claws are bigger, stand up in the water, and spread apart better than the Sweet Beaver.
Attachments
BrownBlueLaminate.jpg
BrownBlueLaminate.jpg (25.81 KiB) Viewed 5559 times
GreenBlackLaminate.jpg
GreenBlackLaminate.jpg (23.37 KiB) Viewed 5559 times
BlackRedFlake.jpg
BlackRedFlake.jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 5559 times

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:58 pm

spicytuna wrote:Beavers are my favorite plastic bait as they are versatile and catch fish. I will flip them in heavy cover, punch mats, or fish the flats. I will use them as jig trailers, T-rig, or sometimes fish them nearly weightless with a small splitshot a few inches above the bait. In the daytime, I like watermelon seed and watermelon candy. At night time, black w/ blue flake or black w/ red flake fished with a small splitshot is killer for me. I used to use Sweet Beavers but lately I've been throwing some custom poured beavers by a friend. They have a more natural presentation and appearance since the claws are bigger, stand up in the water, and spread apart better than the Sweet Beaver.
those are sweet, where can i get some of those? :D
stress-what happens between fishing trips

BobP
Angler
Angler

Post by BobP » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:24 pm

They're a great bait for T-rigging. I use both the 4.2" and the 3" smallie beaver, the latter more often. I'm not particular about brand - there are dozens - but mostly use watermelon, green pumpkin, or smoke black flake, often with the tail tips dyed chartreuse. I'm usually fishing wood cover, rip-rap, or light-medium heavy vegetation with a 3/16oz bullet weight and 12-14 lb fluoro. It's a very versatile compact bait.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:04 am

any way you can dream up, around rock i tread smallie b's on a 3/16th football head hook exposed, flip it, cast it weightless, texas, shakey docks weeds rock, just get it wet it will catch fish. after the senko came out every tackle co. copied it, same w/ the RI beav

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:25 am

Flipped, Punched or T_rig works well with the beaver baits.

Ratshot
Angler
Angler

Post by Ratshot » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:03 pm

I seldom split the tails on the RI Beavers anymore, 'cause the predominate way I fish them now is to, gliiiiide'em. On the 4.2 I use a 4/0 gammy reg or superline with a zero to 1/16 or 1/8 oz weight rigged on the hook right under the front of the bait . On the smallie I really, really like to rig it with a 1/8 or 1/16 oz Zipper football finesse jig. It'll stand staight up, and then I may shake it down to to say " come here fishy ". I've heard some pro's refer to beavers as glide baits, and to leave the tails intact. Mike " Ike ", really got me interested in the gliiide, and I took take the " glide " a step further. I'll punch or flip with something that has it's tail already already split.