Bladed jig helicoptering

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bladed jig helicoptering

Post by dragon1 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:46 pm

What are your preferred strategies to minimize or rid this from occurring?

TIA.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bladed jig helicoptering

Post by godshippy » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:34 pm

Which bladed jig are you throwing and what trailer are you using? I don't notice it much with a jackhammer and spunk shad.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:43 pm

I am using quite a few trailers, all a bit bulky and weighted. Razor Shad + 1/2 oz Chatter, smaller Rage Menace+ 3/8 oz Chatter, large Rage Menace with 1/2 oz Chatter, 3.8 Keitech Fat Impact+ 1/2 oz chatter (this trailer casts excellent on just about any chatter I add it to), 3.5 RI Little Dipper + 3/8 chatter, Zoom Super Fluke on a 1/2 oz...

FWIW, 3-4" single tail grubs seems to helicopter less often in my experience.

I'm wondering if the trailer is too long and if I also need to adjust my casting angle, but from what I can tell it is almost the nature of the beast more times than not.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:02 am

I'm by no means and expert on bladed jigs. I've tried a couple with 0 success. Tried the Zako and found it to be a bit heavy and unwieldy. I'm down to my third attempt, 3/8 Jackhammer w/silver blade and the OSP DoLive Stick 3.5 and 4.5. The OSP DoLive Beaver balances nice but as mentioned, not productive for me.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:02 pm

What kind of line are you throwing your chatters on?

I'm using 17# Trilene 100%

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:37 pm

godshippy wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:02 pm
What kind of line are you throwing your chatters on?

I'm using 17# Trilene 100%
3/8 goes on Modded/tuned OG Purple Alphas 103 with 6.8 gears + 8lb CXX + Legit Design Wild Side 6'10" Med.

3/8 - 1/2 also fished on Evola 7'0" MedFast + 20lb Tuf-Line Domin8 + 15 Tatsu leader + Ian tuned TD-ITO with tuned Steez Limited 105SV spool.

1/2 oz - 3/4 goes on Evergreen Heracles EG Swimming + modded/tuned OG Fuego with an IP Honeycomb spool + 30lb Tuf-Line Domin8 + 17lb fluoro leader.

When I want to have a good time with mag-finesse, I'll toss 1/4-3/8 on my Fenwick/Tiemco Golden Wing 6'10" LP+J + tuned/modded OG Aldebaran MG7 + Avail BFS spool + 10lb X9 + 12 fluoro leader.
Last edited by dragon1 on Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:40 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:02 am
I'm by no means and expert on bladed jigs. I've tried a couple with 0 success. Tried the Zako and found it to be a bit heavy and unwieldy. I'm down to my third attempt, 3/8 Jackhammer w/silver blade and the OSP DoLive Stick 3.5 and 4.5. The OSP DoLive Beaver balances nice but as mentioned, not productive for me.
Dang Johnny, that's surprising to read bro...a chatter will usually always pop a bass or two, especially over grass and fished high over rocks and cover.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:26 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:40 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Dang Johnny, that's surprising to read bro...a chatter will usually always pop a bass or two, especially over grass and fished high over rocks and cover.
Yup, what suprises me is how close to the old Arbogast Hawaiian Wiggler the chatterbait is and that was one of my stand-bys when I was a kid. I go way upstream where small river comes in and it's like a wide shallow grass bed and veg of various forms and it's not productive at all. Now, it could be related to my not matching the hatch, it's basically "all shad, all the time" except for firecraw season from late winter to spawn but even the red craw zipped.
I picked up a couple of 3/8 oz to match size and silver/nickel blade to match forage color and see how that works.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:20 am

Johnny A wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:26 am
dragon1 wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
Yup, what suprises me is how close to the old Arbogast Hawaiian Wiggler the chatterbait is and that was one of my stand-bys when I was a kid. I go way upstream where small river comes in and it's like a wide shallow grass bed and veg of various forms and it's not productive at all. Now, it could be related to my not matching the hatch, it's basically "all shad, all the time" except for firecraw season from late winter to spawn but even the red craw zipped.
I picked up a couple of 3/8 oz to match size and silver/nickel blade to match forage color and see how that works.
Yep, fire craw doesn't fare as well as shad, bream, green colors in upper reaches of rivers and creeks at times. Also a smaller size tends to work better.

And for your assessment of the Hawaiian wiggler, nothing truly is fully "new", rather re-packaged and reintroduced...

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:37 pm

Do you have line twist before the cast? A crooked trailer will cause this. Also, the split ring style bladed jigs tend to twist more based on a few that I tried. I don't ever remember having helicopter issues with a bladed jig, and I throw my own custom version a ton.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:27 pm

toddmc wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:37 pm
Do you have line twist before the cast? A crooked trailer will cause this. Also, the split ring style bladed jigs tend to twist more based on a few that I tried. I don't ever remember having helicopter issues with a bladed jig, and I throw my own custom version a ton.
Personally, I think the helicopter effect is from having a swivel point connection like a split ring...I make a few as well, with hand tied braid connection from a 1/2 oz swimjig head to the split ring, but the braid is wrapped and weaved very tightly, so there is very little swivel point...my homemade bladed jigs casts very well and far with just about any trailer, granted it just tends to run straight with very little hunting action, but it does catch fish.

I'll just have to adjust my casting and release angles, and yes, also check to make sure I don't have massive line twist before the cast. Also, I know any sort of side wind can catch and helicopter a bladed jig, it reminds me very much of a Heddon Sonar catching wind and spinning crazy fast sometimes.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:16 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:20 am
Johnny A wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:26 am
dragon1 wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
Yep, fire craw doesn't fare as well as shad, bream, green colors in upper reaches of rivers and creeks at times. Also a smaller size tends to work better.

And for your assessment of the Hawaiian wiggler, nothing truly is fully "new", rather re-packaged and reintroduced...
Although I didn't catch anything this morning with the 3/8 JackHammer w/3.5 DoLive Worm, I was at least able to get some action out of it. Which, I guessing is a step in the right direction ... also I prefere the nickel/silver blade

Basshunter1955
Angler
Angler

Post by Basshunter1955 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:04 pm

I balance all my blade baits with the skirting material I layer and tie onto my baits. And the trailers I use and the line size I use when throwing them. And alone with the bait caster I use.
Building & Fishing Custom Jigs
Madera Ca.
Since 1977

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:43 pm

Basshunter1955 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:04 pm
I balance all my blade baits with the skirting material I layer and tie onto my baits. And the trailers I use and the line size I use when throwing them. And alone with the bait caster I use.
Much respect to your bladed jig OCD prowess...I'm not anywhere near that level. Lol.