New Jackhammer

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New Jackhammer

Post by joekaz » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:45 pm

Brett Hite mentioned on Facebook that a new Jackhammer is coming out. I bet it will be a tungsten model.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New Jackhammer

Post by Warhawk » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:36 pm

Hopefully a made in the USA version.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:00 am

It's a new Stealth model with a transparent blade.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:11 am

Tungsten model has been out for a minute now. I even got one as a gift with JLS order. Funny thing about it, somehow the head is about the same size as a regular jackhammer. One hell of a tungsten alloy they used lol.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:22 am

rando wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:11 am
Tungsten model has been out for a minute now. I even got one as a gift with JLS order. Funny thing about it, somehow the head is about the same size as a regular jackhammer. One hell of a tungsten alloy they used lol.
The tungsten is almost like a putty or beads. It leaves microcraters on the jighead if you hit it against a bridge abuttment or boulder.

OSP has had a clear lip from the beginning.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:10 am

Johnny A wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:22 am
rando wrote:
The tungsten is almost like a putty or beads. It leaves microcraters on the jighead if you hit it against a bridge abuttment or boulder.

I think you might be referring to tungsten putty which is tungsten powder with polymer binder. Tungsten is actually very hard. On Mohs scale pure tungsten rates 7-8 and tungsten carbide rates 9. For reference diamond rates 10 and pure lead is 1-2. I have seen a lot of "dents" on my lead jigheads, but my tungsten hardware stays in original shape much longer.
Last edited by rando on Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:15 am

Warhawk wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:36 pm
They already make that--the regular Zman bait with crappy components is made in South Carolina.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:47 am

rando wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:10 am
Johnny A wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:22 am
rando wrote:

I think you might be referring to tungsten putty which is tungsten powder with polymer binder. Tungsten is actually very hard. On Mohs scale pure tungsten rates 7-8 and tungsten carbide rates 9. For reference diamond rates 10 and pure lead is 1-2. I have seen a lot of "dents" on my lead jigheads, but my tungsten hardware stays in original shape much longer.
Okay, you’re probably correct.

I don’t know if you can see right between the eye of the jighead and the blade a dimple/gouge. It doesn’t show through in the pic but it’s concave. This is an JDM Evergreen bait.
Attachments
IMG_1397.JPG
IMG_1397.JPG (23.16 KiB) Viewed 8880 times

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:09 am

Yea I can see it.
Another reason to question this alloy. If it is alloy and not the putty (did not thaught of it until you brought it up). Normally one would expect tungsten to be smaller than lead, but somehow tungsten jackhammer is basically the same size as lead jackhammer of the same weight.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:14 am

rando wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:09 am
Yea I can see it.
That is why I was questioning the alloy. If it is alloy and not the putty (did not thaught of it until you brought it up). Normally one would expect tungsten to be smaller than lead, but somehow tungsten jackhammer is basically the same size as lead jackhammer of the same weight.
Now that I just thought about it, OSP uses the material in their non-lead jigheads. Same thing happens, a little gouge or pockmark when damaged.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:02 am

The new Jackhammer's head does not seem to be made of tungsten. The big difference is the blade made from polycarbonate. Suggested use is for smallmouth and pressured largemouth. Made in collaboration with Brent Hite.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:01 pm

The bladed jig gurus are figuring out what I have been saying on these Chatterbait threads for years. You want to have a smaller bait that searches more in clear water during the day. I tie more translucent 30 strand skirts instead of 50 strand skirts on my normal models. I have a little smaller matte blade that I have ground down to get a different vibration. I would love to have some of those clear blades and nano hooks to try out. It's sad that we are so behind the JDM market in getting these type of baits to market. Thanks to Chatterbait for slowing progress for so many years. ](*,) Does anybody remember the name of the spinnerbait company that used clear Colorado blades in the 80's? I caught quite a few fish on those, but they didn't catch on.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:24 pm

I lose enough chatterbaits to wood, I don't think I care to lose any by breaking the blade on rocks. Maybe they will be great, but no way I will be an early adopter on this.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:05 pm

jmb27 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:15 am
Warhawk wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:36 pm
They already make that--the regular Zman bait with crappy components is made in South Carolina.

I should have said “not made in China”

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Jay Kumar's BassBlaster has info and a vid on the Stealth Blade Jackhammer.