Strike King Thunder Cricket

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Strike King Thunder Cricket

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:12 pm

So I saw strike king released a new bladed jig the thunder cricket in classic week. What very much surprises me is that the blade appears to be attached directly to the head. I know Z-Man shut down everyone who used to make a better bladed jig with the directly attached head so everyone would be forced to buy their inferior bait or pay double the reasonable price to get a decent bait in the Jackhammer. Is there some sort of reason they are allowing Strike King to make a bait with a directly attached head and while no one else is allowed the privilege? Is Strike King paying them a royalty or something?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Strike King Thunder Cricket

Post by smalljaw » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:50 pm

There could be a couple different things happening here. The first is that Strike Kind may have found a loophole in order to get the blade attached in that way. The other thing is that they may have obtained a licensing agreement but that would have to come at the expense of Evergreen or Z-Man so I'm guessing it is probably a loophole in the design patent.
Barlow's Tackle

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:12 am

They licensed its use from Z Man. Basically they are paying Z Man to copy the Jackhammer and offer it for a couple bucks less.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:17 am

What material do they use - tungsten or lead?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:41 am

lead. they should have hand tied the damn skirts!

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:28 pm

KlingerNOK wrote:They licensed its use from Z Man. Basically they are paying Z Man to copy the Jackhammer and offer it for a couple bucks less.
I suppose that makes sense since Strike King sponsors most pros on tour it probably didn't look good that all their pros were using another companies bladed jig and Z-Man. Then Z-Man can make money off these and still sell plenty of Jackhammers as Strike King's version isn't much less expensive since they are paying for licensing.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:05 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:lead. they should have hand tied the damn skirts!
Seriously. I would rather have a tied skirt then fancy 3d eyes.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:30 am

Get a small zip tie and put it over the rubber band, problem solved.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:39 am

The 3D eyes are totally unnecessary. The fish have a lot more time to look at a jig, yet most jigs don't have them? Hello? Also, rock will destroy the eyes in a hurry.
You can tie a factory skirt with braid, wire, or a zip tie in about 10 seconds.
The blade is the big question mark? It will be interesting to see how that funky thing reacts differently in the water.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:30 pm

My biggest question is why aren’t any of these US companies using weedguards on their chatterbait’s? The Break Blade uses a dual titanium weedguard, and they come through grass and wood better than anything I’ve used. Really amazing what they can fish through. For $10-$16, you would think they would add some of those custom features of the JDM baits, but instead they give you a fancy paint job and want double what they are really worth. Really surprised there isn’t more conversation on the JDM chatters, some sweet stuff coming from Japan that’s cheaper than the stuff available here.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:51 pm

Am I crazy, or was it listed at $10.99 on TW when they first were listed. Now listed at $13.99. At just $2 less than a Jackhammer, I think I'll probably end up passing.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:47 pm

I saw them at $10 on there too and thought "well done Strike King" At $13, no, they're just cashing in.