Football Jigs

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Football Jigs

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:23 am

I did a search on football jigs here at TT.com and all I found was equipment to use or other stuff not related to actually fishing the jig. I say that because for the loooooooooooooooooooogest i have had difficulty at best learning to fish a football jig here in the state of florida. If you are like me here are three things i think will help you shorten your learning curve.
1. SLOW DOWN, I learned that I was really fishing it too fast. It wasn't until took one set up out and started fishing a football Jig that I didn't get bit until I started slowing down. Now it is more habit than not
2. Use a big profile. I started using fuzzy beavers and trailers of that size and the bite switch came on.. Like a light switch.
3. Refer back to #1

It doesn't matter if your fishing with an ugly stick or an megabass ARMS rod, if your not getting bit , there is nothing to learn from.
Once I started getting bit I adjusted my equipment to fit the conditions I was fishing. Nowadays its almost always a Faust rod and Shimano MG7 100 series with #14 floro.

I hope this helps someone like me who is always striving to learn something new and master it. Although I haven't mastered nothing I am learning and catching fish. People say not to use it in grass but I have found the FBJ to be a great flipping jig in the Pads. I dont know why but it gets bit. So if your cover changes I wouldn't necessarily change the lure.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Football Jigs

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:30 am

and while we are talking about jigs. I suggest contacting Cadman for some jigs.
i have some 1/4 jigs with the owner deep throat hook and he just has a quality product.. very attentive to what you want and his attention to detail is superb.

I've also been using Riot bait lil creeper jigs and prefer them over the Keitech model and bass patrol..
Picasso makes a great one as well, but I brought some BOSS FBJ heads and just added my own skirts which has proven to be awesome. Just my humble opinion , now back to this boring school work :doh:
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:02 am

There are several ways to fish a football jig. You can drag it, hop it, or stroke it. The drag and hop are self explanatory and stroking just means you're raising your rod tip as much over your head at different speeds.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:47 pm

When they arent eating well, drag it so slow you can count the pebbles

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:13 pm

smallies wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:47 pm
When they arent eating well, drag it so slow you can count the pebbles
Great advice. This has worked for me all seasons.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:24 pm

FB jigs are best around hard bottom and rocks, so I don't use them at all. All my cover is thick grass and blowdowns (wood). An Arkie head works best for me, as I always seem to lose jigs to heavy cover, even the arkie jigs occasionally. The fb jigs seemed to hang up constantly in heavy wood and stumps, and they brought back a family-size salad when I was in hydrilla, milfoil and pads. So I quit them altogether.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:43 pm

i hardly ever fish fb jigs, even in rocky lakes. ballhead jigs work better for me. they just seem to hang up less.

i second using cadman for anything!! he makes up a light wire brush jig for me.