Old school flat rubber

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
mmarkinma56
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Old school flat rubber

Post by mmarkinma56 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:40 pm

The old school Puffball jig will live again i started making this jig back in 1985 when square flat rubber was being produced i started marketing them in central ca. Back then then round rubber took over and i still produced them then in 09 i started the silicone puffball jig.
Now with the flat rubber back i got samples today there no end what i can build.
With silicone and flashabou and bucktail to be used as accent color.There no end too what i can build all handtied im putting custom back into this jig. ( retired ) im going to enjoy making them again for myself and a few of my family and friends.
Lefty's Lure Co
custom handcrafted jigs
since 1977

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Old school flat rubber

Post by Big-Bass » Mon May 21, 2018 7:44 pm

I would be interested in a couple of jigs to try out! Please message me with details on how to get them. Thank you!

mmarkinma56
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mmarkinma56 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:49 pm

Sorry i cant do that Big-Bass i started manufacturing custom bass jigs in 1977 til 2007 when i closed my shop i built jigs for several store in the central valley in ca. My last big account 07 was monstertackle.com but i also had 196 single customers with 97 of them tournament anglers. I still pour powdercoat and tie all my jigs in house in my shop just on a much smallier scale i vuild many styles from finesse to flipping im just stoked the flat rubbers back and i plan on building some of the puffball jig of the 80s there no other action like the flat rubber material add flashabou or silicone or even bucktail accent colors there is no end to what in can build There no other manufacture in business today that can produce the puffball jig in any of the material being used. Im sorry but i have to decline im opening my website back up for show but not for sale. Thank again
Lefty's Lure Co
custom handcrafted jigs
since 1977

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue May 22, 2018 5:35 am

So in other words, you are saying you can build them and advertising that only you can build this certain type of jig with material readily available, and you are going to simply reintroduce your website for show? Am I missing something here? Thanks anyways and good luck with whatever you are planning on doing.

Isn't this the same jig only you are going to use flat rubber instead of round?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF6A_hVkTjs

I think Skinny Bear makes a puff jig too.

mmarkinma56
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mmarkinma56 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:08 pm

Where do u think skinnybear got the idea and the video of the guy attempting to tie the puffball jig is not even close to what i do it take him 15 minutes to explain how to tie the jig. Without explaining i can tie and trim them in a minute and half. Thats use silicone material round rubber fine med or heavy grade and skinnybear tie with wire bad choice Don ivino starburst jig again my idea Keeper worn attempted the puffball jig no longer in business there also another company back east that took my jigs apart the see how i put it together there also attempting to build and there fairly close they tie them right. Its a cushball is all it is its three 5" pads of silicone cut in half its 2 1/2 pads of round rubber in any grade if u add accent colors there added first before you add the jig material your using its very simple.
Lefty's Lure Co
custom handcrafted jigs
since 1977

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue May 22, 2018 5:58 pm

The guy tying the jig in the video is actually a well respected contributor to this website. The point of him taking that long is to show others how to do it which is sort of what that type of informative video is all about. I respect the fact that you probably tie and awesome jig and would love to fish of a few of them but there is no reason to insult others for making a quality project similar to one you may have made in the 1970s. Again, with all due respect, I think you probably make a fine product, but I am not sure what your initial goal was on here. Was it to say you're bringing your company back or just touting a new old jig that may/may not work any better than the other companies producing almost the exact same thing? Thanks and best wishes on the water!

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed May 23, 2018 4:45 am

I did the video on the puffball jig and thank you Big-Bass for explaining that I'm tying at a slow pace so you can see how I do it. Now, I talked to mmarkinma56 a few years ago on Tackle Underground in which I gave you my email and shipping address and you were going to email me pictures and send me a jig. I never received any and just left it at that, I don't doubt you are proud of your product but I've talked to a lot of the anglers in the lure making community and nobody has every saw any of your work but surprisingly they all have read how well you tie and the type of jigs you make. The issue isn't about your skills, I can say I make a great custom spoiler for your car but I'm not going to do it anymore and maybe you'll see one some day. I really would appreciate seeing a one of your puffball jigs and I'd love to see how you tie it, when I make them it takes me about 4 minutes without the instruction or trying to do it in a manner that blocks the camera. I know that is pretty long but I'm an amateur and I'd love to see your way of doing it, you are retired so you don't have to worry about your business and Skinny Bear already produces that jig so it isn't like it isn't already out there. I love seeing others work, it keeps me motivated to try to get better but one thing I can say is that I do not copy work from others, you seem to have a better way to make a puffball jig but I have made mine long enough that I'm confident in doing it and I don't use that style a lot. I would really appreciate seeing what head you use and how you get the material to flare.
Barlow's Tackle

mmarkinma56
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mmarkinma56 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:03 am

I use several style of jig heads i can tie the puffball jig form 1/32oz to 1oz jigs and to make them flare it the way you load the material on to the jig head your using and the thread used is real important for tying this style of jig and in all styles of jig heads i currently tie 6 different styles of finesse jigs and also tie all reg skirted jigs the thread and tying determine how the skirting material well flare and there only one thread that well do that and its not a common thread it very light but very hard too break when tying it the flare works on any jig head or skirting material being used. You dont need to modify anything to get the flare in the skirting material to standout.
Lefty's Lure Co
custom handcrafted jigs
since 1977

mmarkinma56
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mmarkinma56 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:06 pm

Also if these so called jig manufactures dont take advantage of this flat rubber coming back out you'll be missing a big boat.
Lefty's Lure Co
custom handcrafted jigs
since 1977