Old Jigs New collars

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Old Jigs New collars

Post by goldrod » Thu May 04, 2017 2:37 am

I have some old jigs. and the skirts are good but the collars are worn
I was going to do a thread wrap.. any of you do the same if now how do you keep things going?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Old Jigs New collars

Post by toddmc » Thu May 04, 2017 3:00 am

goldrod wrote:I have some old jigs. and the skirts are good but the collars are worn
I was going to do a thread wrap.. any of you do the same if now how do you keep things going?
Google is your friend. There are many youtube videos showing how to do it with thread or wire. Take your pick.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Thu May 04, 2017 6:18 am

goldrod wrote:I have some old jigs. and the skirts are good but the collars are worn
Wire is faster and easier. I have a tutorial, if you are interested. Let me know and I will e-mail it to you.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu May 04, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks both of you.. i will shoot you an email Sir.

I have some old old terminator jigs 1/4 oz with the funny type skirts. I don't ever see them for sale but in any case i was just going through one of my jig boxes..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:28 am

there a several simple solutions to worn out skirt collars.
#1 don't buy jigs that are bound by a cheap piece of rubber
#2 use thin wire, thread or braid to tie the skirt above the worn out band then cut off the band
using something like a bread bag wire tie to collect the skirt strands on top and bottom will keep them out of the way while tying
#3 buy a vise, heads, and skirt material and tie your own jigs

#3 can get a little expensive but you can create jigs that match your needs perfectly, and you can find just about any shape jig head you want on the internet :D :D

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:34 pm

id go with NJ Jigman's option #3.
initial cost will seem not worth it. but in the long run it will save you $$$. just buy a good vise straight out the door.