New Chatterbait

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Chatterbait

Post by toddmc » Tue May 30, 2017 12:05 pm

Rfdong wrote:I have both the Barlows and Jann's figure 8 links and the Barlows definitely bend easier. I use the Jann's and have been lucky enough to catch one that went 9.8 this year and no problems or bending. Think you'll find the Jann's works just fine.
Which length did you choose? Does it fit flush like the original Barlow's/Lure Parts Online heads?

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Tue May 30, 2017 10:12 pm

I use size three and it sits flush. Size 4 is a longer link which will not sit flush.

Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Taxin That Bass » Wed May 31, 2017 7:25 am

Rfdong wrote:I use size three and it sits flush. Size 4 is a longer link which will not sit flush.
The jann's website doesn't list them as sizes 3 and 4, it shows me 3 sizes, 3/8, 9/16, 13/16 with 0.037, 0.050, and 0.057 wire diameter respectively, i ordered the largest two. Are these sizes 3 and 4?

I should get them today in the mail, i will hopefully try to pour some test jigs tonight.

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Wed May 31, 2017 10:16 pm

they must've changed the way they list them. I think it's the 9/16". Tried to post a photo but having trouble

Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Taxin That Bass » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:08 am

I poured some last night with the 9/16 size, they seem pretty good, the wire still looks a little smaller than the ones on the boss jigs i have but much better than the ones i poured with the barlows connector links. The 13/16" ones are far too long, i might try modify them since they are heavier wire, maybe cut them down and use a torch to heat and re-size. I will report back after i do some on the water testing.

Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Taxin That Bass » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:34 am

Update: I painted and tied a skirt on a few, attached the blade and hit the water. My first test was just off the dock at my local launch, the bait ran great, had a good stead thump and didn't rise up bad. I ripped it our some grass and it all went well, then I snagged it on a stump. Being that i was on the dock not much i could do other than pull, with 50 lb braid i had to cover my hand with my shirt and wrap the braid around it so it dind't cut into my hand, pulled hard enough that it came out. Reeled the bait in and i had opened to hook almost straight, and the figure 8 link from Janns held perfect, didn't bend at all. I was very impressed and am pleased with the design. Addidtionally, since painted that jig just to test, i didn't bake the powder coat on, after a dozen casts i could see the blade was indeed contacting the head nicely as the paint was knocked off on either side of the blade. I fished for a bit with it yesterday on the Mississippi river and caught 3 or so on it, biggest was about 2.5lbs, everything looked great on the jig. If you guys want pics, i can try to upload some of the modifications to the arkie mold ect. The only thing i need now is maybe a better snap for the blade, anyone got suggestions?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:46 am

Taxin That Bass wrote:Update: I painted and tied a skirt on a few, attached the blade and hit the water. My first test was just off the dock at my local launch, the bait ran great, had a good stead thump and didn't rise up bad. I ripped it our some grass and it all went well, then I snagged it on a stump. Being that i was on the dock not much i could do other than pull, with 50 lb braid i had to cover my hand with my shirt and wrap the braid around it so it dind't cut into my hand, pulled hard enough that it came out. Reeled the bait in and i had opened to hook almost straight, and the figure 8 link from Janns held perfect, didn't bend at all. I was very impressed and am pleased with the design. Addidtionally, since painted that jig just to test, i didn't bake the powder coat on, after a dozen casts i could see the blade was indeed contacting the head nicely as the paint was knocked off on either side of the blade. I fished for a bit with it yesterday on the Mississippi river and caught 3 or so on it, biggest was about 2.5lbs, everything looked great on the jig. If you guys want pics, i can try to upload some of the modifications to the arkie mold ect. The only thing i need now is maybe a better snap for the blade, anyone got suggestions?
I'd like to see some pictures. It sounds like you got it figured out. The Decoy Egg Snap in size 2 is what you want. They are expensive, but less likely to open than the duo lock style snaps. The Jack Hammer has the Decoy Egg Snaps.

Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Taxin That Bass » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:28 pm

I will get a few pictures and try to upload them. I had troubles before, i reduced the file size below the limit and TT website still wouldn't upload them.

Also, those decoy snaps look nice, but wow are they spendy. Any other ones that are a little more economical but still good? Not a huge deal, but prefer not to spend more on the snaps then i do on just about everyone else on the bait combined. But if thats the one then i will do it.

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Decoy are best, reality if you hand tie the skirt that bait should last a while. I've had some success with the mustard fastach but they are trickier to get on....

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Decoy are best, reality if you hand tie the skirt that bait should last a while. I've had some success with the mustard fastach but they are trickier to get on....

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:32 am

Decoy released a new quick snap last year and they are much better than the Egg ones. The strength of both ends of the snap is the same.

Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Taxin That Bass » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Attached are some pictures of my test version. i will try to get some pictures of my mold at some point.
Attachments
14ndc0y.jpg
14ndc0y.jpg (45.97 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
6-6-2017 2-14-21 PM.jpg
6-6-2017 2-14-21 PM.jpg (25.15 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
2yzg11f.jpg
2yzg11f.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
2cnk09k.jpg
2cnk09k.jpg (39.41 KiB) Viewed 8801 times

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:27 pm

Taxin That Bass wrote:Attached are some pictures of my test version. i will try to get some pictures of my mold at some point.
That looks really good. I like the single wire keeper. The double wire keeper on the Jack Hammer holds your bait so well that your trailer ends up tearing and hanging by the last little part of the head. The Arkie head probably skips better than average.

Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Taxin That Bass » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:52 pm

yeah, notice the hook is bent, thats from snagging that stump, i would say it holds together well. I need to come up with a better way of painting the blades, i have just been using a sharpie.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:54 pm

Taxin That Bass wrote:yeah, notice the hook is bent, thats from snagging that stump, i would say it holds together well. I need to come up with a better way of painting the blades, i have just been using a sharpie.
You know that it is strong if the hook bends out before the other parts break. One of my team tournament partners uses a sharpie on the blades also. They are easy to paint with any style paint. Try the black nickel blades if you want black. They are expensive, but the paint doesn't wear off.