Do you prefer umbrella skirts?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Do you prefer umbrella skirts?

Post by NJ Jigman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:43 pm

I've been experimenting tying jigs that have that umbrella look, but not sure I like it. Do you prefer umbrella or normal skirts and for which baits. Any feedback would be helpful :?:

mmarkinma56
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Do you prefer umbrella skirts?

Post by mmarkinma56 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:09 am

I like the umbrella skirts I like to tie them on bullet head jigs and they also work well on football head jigs I also tie them on buzzbaits body's and spinnerbait body's also
Lefty's Lure Co
custom handcrafted jigs
since 1977

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:43 pm

I'm not a big fan of umbrella type skirts. I have more confidence when I tie my skirts with the back ends hiding the hook. I also think the slower flare is better than the quick opening umbrella type skirt but that is just me.
Barlow's Tackle

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:58 am

Thanks, guys. I am a big fan, Smalljaw. Most of the finesse and hair jigs I tie are ones I watched you tie on youtube.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:25 pm

The main issue that I have with umbrella skirts is that they tend to split and leave a gap in your skirt coverage. Even when I use wire to reinforce the outside of them, they will split in my hot/extreme environment. Many of them also have thin strands that break off too easily. They come in some cool colors that are hard to duplicate with other material, but I'll take a simple hand-tied skirt any day.

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:50 pm

I typically use the Umbrella style skirts when they are tied (wire or braid) on my 'Northern Style' swim jigs or when using the 'old school' flat rubber spinnerbait skirts. I also use them in clearer water on spinnerbaits when I don't want the fish to see much of anything (other than the blades) as it goes by. The other time I use them is when I want a little smaller profile and actually reverse the quick change style umbrella skirts and trim them down imitate smaller baitfish and/or give them a different look.

djd