Under Spin 101

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Under Spin 101

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:53 am

Try as I may I haven't caught nothin.
Which are you using, what's your setup and general retrieve? What baits are you using, just looking for the skinny to use as a starting point

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Under Spin 101

Post by smalljaw » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:06 pm

I've caught a few suspending fish in the warmer months but nothing consistent. Then 2 years ago I found where they really shine, at least in my waters, and that is in the cooler water. When the water is in the mid to upper 50s I have done well using a soft plastic swimbait on the head, then when the water gets in to the upper 40s to low 50s, a fluke jr. seems to work better. I found that heads with the blade closer to the soft plastic body work better for me, so much so I started making my own. The key seems to be reeling slow, if the blade is close to the body, you quickly find out how fast is too fast as the blade will contact the body, so you slow down until the blade spins freely and that, at least for me, seems to be the magic speed. When the water cools and I use the fluke trailer, I'll slow it down until I begin to feel the blade ticking the bottom, and that works really well as I've been able to put both numbers and large fish in the boat with it. The hardest part for me with the colder water was setting the hook, almost every fish seems to bite the same way, you feel the bump and set the hook and no fish so I learned that if I feel the bump and keep reeling until the rod tip loads up, that is when I pull back, very similar to reel setting, I believe the fish just grab the tail and then eat it, I don't know why but that is just how it has worked for me. Right now it is time for them, if the water is clear I'll start with a jerkbait, but if they don't come up for that the under spin almost always works and if the water is stained, I go right for the under spin, and so far that pattern hasn't failed me....Yet.

EDIT: I almost forgot, I use a 1/4oz bait in the colder water or if I'm in water shallower than 8' and a 3/8oz version when the water is at the warmest end of the spectrum, 58 degrees or so and only if the fish are in deeper water 10'+. I throw them on a 6'9" medium power spinning rod with an extra fast action on 8lb copoly line, for me the shorter rod allows me to keep better contact with the bit, a 7' rod is ok to but I feel like I have more control with a 6'9" but that is personal preference, I get more than enough distance on the cast so it isn't a factor.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:28 am

Do you think imx 843 is OK rod

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:33 am

goldrod wrote:Do you think imx 843 is OK rod
The MBR 843C, is that the rod? I prefer spinning for under spins but that rod would be about close to perfect for that technique.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:59 am

smalljaw wrote:
goldrod wrote:Do you think imx 843 is OK rod
The MBR 843C, is that the rod? I prefer spinning for under spins but that rod would be about close to perfect for that technique.
You are correct. I only use spinning for ds fishing when it is too windy for casting

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:55 am

small jaw is pretty much spot on with everything he said. Under spins really shine in cold water conditions, I always throw on a medium action spinning rod 6-10. I use braid with a flouro leader and a little heavier line although we have much bigger bass here. Always 1/4 ounce in shallow water and bumping along the bottom. Bite is always exactly as smalljaw described, A lot of time I will pause my retrieve on the initial bite and start it and then set the hook.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:37 pm

i slow roll the 3/16oz owner underspins with 4 inch keitech easy shiners. Pretty much fish it like a spinnerbait. Ive caught my largest fish the past few years with this setup.

If im in a jam, i grab the 1/4oz fish head spins from dicks sporting goods.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:04 pm

In the past I mainly throw sworming hornet in 1-8 and 3/16 oz . Zoom super fluke jr. trailer . If the fish are schooling well and are in a shad spawn or just pushing bait I double them up and do very well. Biggest on the double is a 9.6 and a 5.4 lber , pretty awesome when it's on, if your doing just the single I like to slow roll and yo yo with a nice pop . You will get bit on the pop or the stop. Hope this helps ....

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:51 pm

Are there any favorite brands that you guys like? Looking to pick up a few. Thanks!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

PerchHater
Angler
Angler

Post by PerchHater » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Ive had plenty of luck with the Blakemore Randy's Swim'n Runner heads. These have been dynamite the last few years for me after ice out. Just need a drop of super glue becauce they dont have a barbed collar.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:32 am

Underspins are and have been for years my go to confidence bait. I fish them year round in central fl. Most FL lakes are shallow and even on them I tend to fish the shallows. I use owner flashy swimmers 3/16 oz primarily and zappu pile driver in 4/0 hook size. Any plastic really will work, but my favourite is Reaction innovations skinny dipper. I'll retrieve slowly when water temp is below 60 and fast when above. Super slow along bottom at night and when water is really cold. It even works for me to drag through beds during spawn. I even pitch them into cover and fish then like a jig. Deadly along docks. If I absolutely need a bite and I've tried everything with no luck, it's my go to. Always have at least one dedicated rod. Only jerk baits at certain time of year will make me put then away for a bit. Any rod and reel set up for moving baits will work for me. Right now during spawn in fl I've got a super destroyer with a deps dr100 rigged and a g-ax with a zillion sv tv rigged up for under spin use. It's the main way I've caught bass since November. Usually I'm throwing more jerks and lipless cranks at this time of year, but the underspin bite is just too consistent to put them down. All sizes bite. My biggest on this rig was 9 and the smallest was not too much bigger than the skinny dipper trailer.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:42 am

One more thing--while I will now and again get a bite on still water, they shine when there's a little chop on the water.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:21 am

Polkfish1 wrote:Underspins are and have been for years my go to confidence bait. I fish them year round in central fl. Most FL lakes are shallow and even on them I tend to fish the shallows. I use owner flashy swimmers 3/16 oz primarily and zappu pile driver in 4/0 hook size. Any plastic really will work, but my favourite is Reaction innovations skinny dipper. I'll retrieve slowly when water temp is below 60 and fast when above. Super slow along bottom at night and when water is really cold. It even works for me to drag through beds during spawn. I even pitch them into cover and fish then like a jig. Deadly along docks. If I absolutely need a bite and I've tried everything with no luck, it's my go to. Always have at least one dedicated rod. Only jerk baits at certain time of year will make me put then away for a bit. Any rod and reel set up for moving baits will work for me. Right now during spawn in fl I've got a super destroyer with a deps dr100 rigged and a g-ax with a zillion sv tv rigged up for under spin use. It's the main way I've caught bass since November. Usually I'm throwing more jerks and lipless cranks at this time of year, but the underspin bite is just too consistent to put them down. All sizes bite. My biggest on this rig was 9 and the smallest was not too much bigger than the skinny dipper trailer.
Thanks! I have been killing it with these baits. I threw a regular paddle tail swimbait, when I ran out of underspin jig heads, but the fish weren't having it. Stocking up!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:41 pm

I have been fishing small underspins (1/4oz head, 3.8 FI) for a few months now and I swear they hang up about twice as often as a normal open-hook jig head will. I don't know if I am fishing them differently somehow, but I am losing them left and right here and it is killing me. I keep meaning to price out the savings from building my own from parts via Jann's or Barlows, but I suspect the savings will not be great unless I cheap out on the blade/swivel.

I know I will want a good swiel, but does the blade need to be anything special? I am not looking for thump (although I do wanna try a Colorado blade version at some point), just flash, so will any old cheap willow blade work?

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:06 am

I agree with most, it is a go to lure for me. I have caught more fish on an underspin the last two years than any other lure I have. I use a 3/8 scrounger head underspin with a 4.8" keitech swimbait and the thing produces every time I use it. The scrounger head has a rubber piece on the head and gives it more vibration, kind of like a chatterbait. Fish it like a spinnerbait. I'll cast it out, slow roll it, pop it a few times, slow roll it, maybe speed it up, dead stick it, whatever comes to your mind. Underspins flat out work.