Favorite jig for stroking

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Favorite jig for stroking

Post by Randingo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:00 am

Pretty much the only jig style I've ever used for stroking is the football. It's the one jighead I've got in my box that I know is going to land upright when I rip it 6 or 8 feet up and let it plummet down. There's nothing subtle or interesting about the way a football jig falls, and it isn't particularly good at dealing with anything other than rocky cover. So I'm thinking there are situations where I'd rather have a different jig style for stroking. I'm presently thinking about the Dirty Jigs Pitching Jig in 1/2-3/4oz sizes as a possibility, but I'd love to hear about other options. What are your favorite jigs for stroking?

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Favorite jig for stroking

Post by Ham Solo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Dirty Jigs gets my vote. My jig box is full of them. I use their pitching, football and swim jigs. 8-)

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:00 am

Does anyone have any experience with the Strik King structure jig? It looks like a winner in many ways. I'd rather spend my money on the highest quality jigs I can find, but that head design is unique and looks like it could be really versatile.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:50 am

I may be in the minority here but for what you mention I like a 1/2 Poisontail head style. The Northstar Custom baits Flip and Swim is my favorite. I like to pair these with paddle tail swimbait like a Keitech 4.8 or 3.8 Fat Impact. The presentation is something the fish don't see around here very often. Dirty Jigs offers plenty of jigs and colors as well but for a bit more money. It seems like most guys that are using the technique are using the typical football jig with a craw trailer. The poison Tail jig paired with a paddle tail gives it more of a dying or crippled baitfish look. For colors you can use whatever you see fit. I generally like something in shad, bluegill, or an Okeechobee craw color.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:37 am

The Structure jigs in general are excellent. I've caught so many big fish on them, and I do believe the head design offers an advantage. Flatter/Thinner profile so a thick chunk of lead does not blow their mouth open on hookset, and comes through cover pretty well. Hookups have been very good too and don't lose as many as I have with other jigs. If you want to use a thick bulky trailer the hook might be a tad small but it's not a problem with rage chunk.
Randingo wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the Strik King structure jig? It looks like a winner in many ways. I'd rather spend my money on the highest quality jigs I can find, but that head design is unique and looks like it could be really versatile.