General buzzbait question

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

General buzzbait question

Post by Randingo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:42 pm

I've fished buzzbaits since they first came out, but I tend to go through phases--some seasons I seem to always have one tied on while other times they barely see the water. I'm mentioning this as a way of saying I'm far from being a novice with these baits, but I also don't think I'm the world's foremost expert on the tactic either. The vast majority of the time I throw a classic single buzz, usually in a 3/8 or 1/2 ounce size. In the very beginning, I used to try to tune the bait so it ran straight back to me, but I quickly discovered it was basically a waste of time: the bait tracks in the direction the blade rotates. I was just looking at buzzbaits on TW and reading some of the comments, and on several single aluminum bladed versions people complained that the bait was junk because it wouldn't track in a straight line. The only tuning I ever do is making sure the bait is upright in the water with the head vertically beneath the blade. Am I crazy? Have I been missing something, or is getting a single bladed buzzbait to not track in the direction of the blade's rotation really possible and desirable? I just can't believe this is a thing...

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: General buzzbait question

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:58 pm

Bend the jig part out of alignment with the blade the right amount and you can probably get it to come straight back.

I usually fish them around submerged trees and docks so tracking sideways helps the bait bounce off the structure which can be key some days.

DaveJ

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:19 am

Buzzbaits are really effective when you deflect them off of cover. It is usually harder to hit a piece of cover or run it down a grass line if your bait isn't running straight because it is difficult to predict how much curve your bait has. You can certainly catch fish on a buzzbait or spinnerbait that doesn't run straight, but it's that much harder to fish. You can even tune a buzzbait to run in one direction or another to run under a dock. I think it's more confidence than anything else.

BullBass
Angler
Angler

Post by BullBass » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:55 am

I too have found it to be mostly a waste of time. I get mine to where there are running somewhat straight and just leave it at that. I don't ever seem to have a problem catching fish on buzzbait's so i must be doing something right. I wouldn't worry about it too much personally.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:37 pm

BullBass wrote:I too have found it to be mostly a waste of time. I get mine to where there are running somewhat straight and just leave it at that. I don't ever seem to have a problem catching fish on buzzbait's so i must be doing something right. I wouldn't worry about it too much personally.
Agree 100%