Jig trailer with floating "claws"?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Jig trailer with floating "claws"?

Post by Randingo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:04 am

When the water is warm and fish are relatively aggressive, I use very active trailers like the Paca Chunk and, more and more, Rage Chunks and Craws. But there are times, especially cool water and post frontal, when I want a subtle trailer, and I'd really like to have one that naturally floats. I get lots of bites using Beavers, but I'd prefer something with more buoyancy, or at least I'd like to have that option available. What are you using as a subtle trailer with buoyancy? Btw, I'm looking for possibly 2 different trailers or alternatively something available in two sizes: one for finesse jigs and another, larger profile for larger standard bass jigs. Thanks.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Jig trailer with floating "claws"?

Post by pharmboy2010 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:31 am

I have used and love the Strike King Denny Brauer 3X trailers since they first came to market. They have dwindled the amount of sizes/colors that they offer the past few years, but the mainstays are still there. Another option would be the Z-Man Batwingz. The 3X Elaztech soft plastic material is very durable and extremely buoyant. Should have been pretty revolutionary in the market, but does have some drawbacks. Never really liked the stuff for anything but jig trailers. Make sure to not store them w/ other plastics or you will have a mess on your hands. I just store them in original packaging.

Search Elaztech on youtube and you can find several videos on the stuff.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:05 pm

I had the stuff melt on my deck and somehow it reacted to the carpet material sitting in the sun. I had to replace the rod door cover because it looked really bad. Threw out whatever i had.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:09 am

Xcite baits Raptor Chunks and craws all have claws that float high and have great action.

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ham Solo » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:04 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Xcite baits Raptor Chunks and craws all have claws that float high and have great action.
Bingo!

I've been using them for a few years and they are my goto for jig trailers when fishing the bottom.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:04 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Xcite baits Raptor Chunks and craws all have claws that float high and have great action.
I am going to try some on my next TW order, but i have been very happy with Reins beaver and craw because they also float. Reason is the Xcite looks cheaper and more durable for the everyday fishing and save the more expensive softer ones for when the fish are being picky.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:21 pm

I'd check out the Z-Man stuff, I think there are craws and creatures in their lineup. I've fished the 3" swimbait and 4" curl tail texas rigged and on weighted swimbait hooks and both sit really nicely head down tail up on the bottom. Between the buoyancy and crazy durability, they ought to make great trailers.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:58 am

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm going to try the recommendations given so far. Has anyone tried the V&M that TT reviewed? How about the PTL Craw D'ouvre and its big brother? I also saw something from D&M that looks interesting. (I browsed around on TW after the first couple suggestions) Please keep them coming if you have more suggestions.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:43 pm

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:15 pm

Bassmar wrote:Damiki Air Craws work pretty well.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Damiki_A ... DACRW.html
100% agree on that, they're probably my favorite trailer and also make for a killer shakyhead bait!

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:48 pm

The ZMan stuff floats and is extremely durable.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:06 pm

I have pretty good luck with the psycho dad from Yamamoto . It comes with a rattle slot towards the head of the bait as well which I really like. Z man is great as well but don't have much action but floats very well.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:05 am

I love the super chunk and super chunk jr from zoom in cold water

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:35 pm

Yamamoto psycho dad claws float well. And it is a very realistic craw trailer.