Chipped paint on jig heads

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Chipped paint on jig heads

Post by hungry_cow » Sun May 15, 2016 11:49 pm

I am really hard on my jigs and always end up chipping the paint off the heads. And my favorite jigs are shooter lure jigs whose one weakness is they chip easily and the head is pretty much silver after a half day of use.

Do you think having the paint gone from a jig head gets any less bites? Or what do you do to fix them. Permanent marker, paint pen, something else?

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Chipped paint on jig heads

Post by cadman » Mon May 16, 2016 2:00 am

I wouldn't sweat the details. You probably lost most of the paint on the bottom from dragging. Now I don't know anything about the paint they use, but powder paint should not crack or chip off easily, unless you smash it with a hammer. I paint a lot of jigs and I lose jigs before the paint comes off. With that said, if you are concerned about the lead shining through, you can try a black marker on the water. If you want to get fancy, when you get home, you can use a bottle of testor's paint to touch up or nail polish. Let dry really well and go back to fishing next time around. If you have any time in the winter, you can take the skirts carefully off of your jigs, strip the existing paint, and powder paint them again, then wire tie your skirt back on. Good winter project, as you may have a dozen or so to do.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Mon May 16, 2016 2:41 am

give dirty jigs a try...paint finish is very durable...i fish a very rocky lake and have had no issues with them compared to other jigs i used to use that would fall apart after a days usage.....

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon May 30, 2016 9:52 am

I wouldn't worry about paint on the jig head. Most likely, fish focus more on the skirt and trailer in my opinion. I have some old Terminator Pros Top Secret jigs that are no longer in production. They are beat up but still catch bass.

JTinKC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JTinKC » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:27 am

I agree. I've caught a lot of fish on beat up spinnerbaits that have no paint left on the head. Sometimes I think it may be better as it presents a different look.

SmallSmallie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SmallSmallie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:58 pm

I've tried applying protection coating on jig but came up very easily. I just don't care any more as it's bound to happen.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:31 pm

get some SHARPIE permanent markers black, brown, green and color your jigheads. not super durable but will last a few trips, when you finish take a little dab oh scent, megastrike, and rub it over the head to cover the marker smell

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:46 pm

Wife and daughter's old nail polish. Can get some wild "big eye" combos. As long as the hook is still good, Just repaint 'em again & again.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:24 pm

You can paint them with two part clear epoxy BEFORE you use them. It's pretty durable.

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:46 pm

I know it doesn't matter, but for me, its a visual thing. I need to have confidence in a lure when i use it, so if it needs paint, ill paint it.

Im sure some of you can relate :D

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:09 pm

If your fishing the shad colors or black etc ... I go to a hobby store or craft store and buying a paint marker. It's lasts longer and coats thicker than a sharpie marker and to me fills in the gaps easier and is darker than a sharpie marker .

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:20 pm

Devcon 2 ton epoxy is about as durable a coat you'll find. Clear, waterproof, hard.

rgbtr196le
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rgbtr196le » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:28 pm

Yes try some nail polish, that stuff is cheap but pretty durable.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:27 pm

MRQturbo wrote:give dirty jigs a try...paint finish is very durable...i fish a very rocky lake and have had no issues with them compared to other jigs i used to use that would fall apart after a days usage.....
Yup I use Dirty jigs and rarely lose paint. I dont think it makes much of a difference if you do though.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:57 am

Flexcoat is very nice for coating jig heads. Epoxy, but with some flex to it when the heads are smashing against rocks and such.