Keitech Model 2 Football Jig

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Keitech Model 2 Football Jig

Post by Cyacnba » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:13 pm

Hey everyone,

I purchased a few of these jigs since they are made of tungsten instead of lead. However, when I received them, I noticed that they are way too small. My question is what trailers do you guys use for these jigs? I expected them to be bigger, so all I have are Rage Tail Craws, Biospawn Vilecraw, and Netbait Paca Craws. All of them are too big. Should I use them as finesse jigs?

Thanks.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Keitech Model 2 Football Jig

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:36 pm

Cyacnba wrote:Hey everyone,

I purchased a few of these jigs since they are made of tungsten instead of lead. However, when I received them, I noticed that they are way too small. My question is what trailers do you guys use for these jigs? I expected them to be bigger, so all I have are Rage Tail Craws, Biospawn Vilecraw, and Netbait Paca Craws. All of them are too big. Should I use them as finesse jigs?

Thanks.
swing impact work awesome on them.

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:46 pm

cndbasshunter wrote: swing impact work awesome on them.
You mean the one that looks like a swimbait? I've never used a football jig with a trailer like the Swing Impact. Should I use this football jig as a swim jig instead?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:51 pm

They are made of Tungstun so they will be a small profile to begin with and that is a good thing. It also uses a 2/0 hook, the thing to remember is that a lot of anglers turned the football jig into a different animal. Originally it was made with a light wire hook and a thing weed guard and used on light, 8lb to 12lb line, and was dragged on deeper points and flats in clear water. The reason for the light wire hook was to get full penetration when using light line on a long cast or when your bait was deep but now a lot of anglers fish football heads on 50lb braid with heavy wire hooks in dirty water. The Keitech Model 2 will catch you a lot of fish, I've been making small profile jigs for a long time using small but stout hooks like the Owner 5313 short shank, it is a strong hook but the short shank lets me keep the profile of the jig smaller. The jig you got will be very good in clear water, fish it on light line, no more than 14lb. For a trailer I'd go with a tiny Paca Craw or a Baby Rage craw and have faith in that jig, as I said, I've been pouring and making different kinds of jigs for almost 20 years and for the last 5 or 6 I've been making finesse type jigs and heavier jigs with smaller profiles and it is hard to argue with the great results we've been getting.

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:46 am

smalljaw wrote:They are made of Tungstun so they will be a small profile to begin with and that is a good thing. It also uses a 2/0 hook, the thing to remember is that a lot of anglers turned the football jig into a different animal. Originally it was made with a light wire hook and a thing weed guard and used on light, 8lb to 12lb line, and was dragged on deeper points and flats in clear water. The reason for the light wire hook was to get full penetration when using light line on a long cast or when your bait was deep but now a lot of anglers fish football heads on 50lb braid with heavy wire hooks in dirty water. The Keitech Model 2 will catch you a lot of fish, I've been making small profile jigs for a long time using small but stout hooks like the Owner 5313 short shank, it is a strong hook but the short shank lets me keep the profile of the jig smaller. The jig you got will be very good in clear water, fish it on light line, no more than 14lb. For a trailer I'd go with a tiny Paca Craw or a Baby Rage craw and have faith in that jig, as I said, I've been pouring and making different kinds of jigs for almost 20 years and for the last 5 or 6 I've been making finesse type jigs and heavier jigs with smaller profiles and it is hard to argue with the great results we've been getting.
Wow, thanks so much for your explanation. I learned a lot just from this, and it helped me a lot. I actually used a Baby Rage Craw as a trailer and caught a 2lb bass. Nothing crazy, but the Keitech jig was the only thing that caught me a fish that day. Now, I'm just worried I might snag it somewhere in the bottom lol

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:34 am

Cyacnba wrote:
smalljaw wrote:They are made of Tungstun so they will be a small profile to begin with and that is a good thing. It also uses a 2/0 hook, the thing to remember is that a lot of anglers turned the football jig into a different animal. Originally it was made with a light wire hook and a thing weed guard and used on light, 8lb to 12lb line, and was dragged on deeper points and flats in clear water. The reason for the light wire hook was to get full penetration when using light line on a long cast or when your bait was deep but now a lot of anglers fish football heads on 50lb braid with heavy wire hooks in dirty water. The Keitech Model 2 will catch you a lot of fish, I've been making small profile jigs for a long time using small but stout hooks like the Owner 5313 short shank, it is a strong hook but the short shank lets me keep the profile of the jig smaller. The jig you got will be very good in clear water, fish it on light line, no more than 14lb. For a trailer I'd go with a tiny Paca Craw or a Baby Rage craw and have faith in that jig, as I said, I've been pouring and making different kinds of jigs for almost 20 years and for the last 5 or 6 I've been making finesse type jigs and heavier jigs with smaller profiles and it is hard to argue with the great results we've been getting.
Wow, thanks so much for your explanation. I learned a lot just from this, and it helped me a lot. I actually used a Baby Rage Craw as a trailer and caught a 2lb bass. Nothing crazy, but the Keitech jig was the only thing that caught me a fish that day. Now, I'm just worried I might snag it somewhere in the bottom lol
Great post from smalljaw !! The Keitech Model 2 is a great jig... don't be afraid of the hook size - it will catch the big ones with the right line and rod. If you decide against the Model 2's, I will be glad to take them off your hands :D