Tungsten jigs?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tungsten jigs?

Post by Okiekev » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:32 pm

What experience does everyone have with tungsten jig heads, particularly football style jigs? I have switched all of my bullet weights to tungsten due to sensitivity and compact size. Do the tungsten head jigs offer the same advancements?

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tungsten jigs?

Post by johnnybassboat » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:15 am

I use both tungsten flip/pitch and football jigs, and I believe that the footballs are better than their lead counterparts. They seem to be more sensitive and less prone to snagging in the rocks that I fish. Not so sure about the flip/pitch jigs, dont see the advantage there as much, other than maybe the smaller head size.

Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Okiekev » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:26 am

johnnybassboat wrote:I use both tungsten flip/pitch and football jigs, and I believe that the footballs are better than their lead counterparts. They seem to be more sensitive and less prone to snagging in the rocks that I fish. Not so sure about the flip/pitch jigs, dont see the advantage there as much, other than maybe the smaller head size.
Good to hear and I see your point about the pitching jigs. FBs are my focus here so I appreciate the feedback. Any brands or models that you like?

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:16 am

Have few from Eco tungsten and just got some from Real Deal Tungsten and they seem nice. Will most likely tie the skirts on though.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:27 am

Okiekev wrote:
johnnybassboat wrote:I use both tungsten flip/pitch and football jigs, and I believe that the footballs are better than their lead counterparts. They seem to be more sensitive and less prone to snagging in the rocks that I fish. Not so sure about the flip/pitch jigs, dont see the advantage there as much, other than maybe the smaller head size.
Good to hear and I see your point about the pitching jigs. FBs are my focus here so I appreciate the feedback. Any brands or models that you like?
Totally agree with this. Personally, I use Keitech M1 jigs almost exclusively for my light flipping, and I buy them more for the small profile that they offer due to the tungsten than the sensitivity of the tungsten itself. Bait isn't very big here in Jersey, and it just seems to provide the right size profile. The same goes for the football jigs for me. the M2 Keitech in 1/4oz is a tiny jig, only a little bigger than the Keitech Guard Spin Jig. Small jig=more bites=filling out a limit in crunch time.

Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Okiekev » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:16 am

Seems like some reviews of tungsten jigs on TW indicate issues with heads splitting on certain brands. Anyone experience similar issues?

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:33 am

Not me and I fish a lot of rock and wood.

Westbankcougar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Westbankcougar » Sat May 07, 2016 8:06 am

any recommendations for tungsten punching jigs?

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:37 am

Westbankcougar wrote:any recommendations for tungsten punching jigs?
What weights are you looking for?

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Fishinfanatic115 wrote:
Westbankcougar wrote:any recommendations for tungsten punching jigs?
What weights are you looking for?
I use Reins because they are more compact than any other tungsten weight on the market and has good plastic insert, but they also cost the most. It really depends on how often you lose a punch weight. In my case i have never lost a single punch weight in the past 3 years and that was enough to justify purchasing the more expensive Reins.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Okiekev wrote:What experience does everyone have with tungsten jig heads, particularly football style jigs? I have switched all of my bullet weights to tungsten due to sensitivity and compact size. Do the tungsten head jigs offer the same advancements?

I fish a lot of current and I switched to Keitech Model II's. They are a football head that I use to drop on sandy patches in the middle of the river I fish. They fall quicker than lead of the same weight. It is crystal clear and if I can hit the sandy patch, I get bit.