best all around rod for spinnerbaits, chatter baits and jigs

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

best all around rod for spinnerbaits, chatter baits and jigs

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:18 am

Whats the best action and taper for for throwing lighter spinnerbaits, chatter baits, and jigs accurately? i definitely need help on deciding :doh: :doh:

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: best all around rod for spinnerbaits, chatter baits and

Post by vinnieb729 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:19 am

What is "lighter" to you? To me it's 1/4 ounce spinnerbaits and jigs not including the weight of the trailer.

-If accuracy is key, I'd look for an extra fast (XF) taper rod 6'8"-7'
-Depending on your weights, it'd be a M power or MH if 3/8 is light for your neck of the woods...depends on cover you fish too...and what rods your looking at since M and MH are vague at best across brands.

My reel speed would be 6.6-7.2. Fast enough for bottom contact baits yet still powerful enough to pull the smaller spinnerbaits/chatterbaits. Line for me would be 10/12 lb fluoro for a M and 12/14 fluoro for MH...abrasion resistant for both techniques and sensitive with jigs but has enough stretch for the moving spinnerbaits.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:02 pm

MBR 783 GLX

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:49 am

bigfruits wrote:MBR 783 GLX
This. I prefer the 7' one--843. The MBR GLX rods can do all of those techniques that you listed and do them well with its fast taper. One of best versatile rods ever made. Also those rods are good for senkos, buzzbaits, etc. I have the 843 and 844 and love them both.

fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:34 am

vinnieb729 wrote:What is "lighter" to you? To me it's 1/4 ounce spinnerbaits and jigs not including the weight of the trailer.

-Depending on your weights, it'd be a M power or MH if 3/8 is light for your neck of the woods...depends on cover you fish too...and what rods your looking at since M and MH are vague at best across brands.

My reel speed would be 6.6-7.2. Fast enough for bottom contact baits yet still powerful enough to pull the smaller spinnerbaits/chatterbaits. Line for me would be 10/12 lb fluoro for a M and 12/14 fluoro for MH...abrasion resistant for both techniques and sensitive with jigs but has enough stretch for the moving spinnerbaits.
I've been looking at the shimano zodias 6'10" medium or medium heavy but he only factor is is that they don't have an action rating but i did some research and japan offers actions and they are both fast.... another option is a crucial 6'8" medium xf or a 7'3" mh xf but i have to keep in mind that this rod is going to be paired with a shimano aldebaran and I'm not sure if i wanna step down to a crucial...... I'm going to be using this for the 3 techniques listed above but I'm not going to be full bombing these bait out there this is going to be for casting to cover and selective close range casting......so not sure but give me ur opinion

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:22 pm

fishingcreekoutdoors wrote:
vinnieb729 wrote:What is "lighter" to you? To me it's 1/4 ounce spinnerbaits and jigs not including the weight of the trailer.

I've been looking at the shimano zodias 6'10" medium or medium heavy but he only factor is is that they don't have an action rating but i did some research and japan offers actions and they are both fast.... another option is a crucial 6'8" medium xf or a 7'3" mh xf but i have to keep in mind that this rod is going to be paired with a shimano aldebaran and I'm not sure if i wanna step down to a crucial...... I'm going to be using this for the 3 techniques listed above but I'm not going to be full bombing these bait out there this is going to be for casting to cover and selective close range casting......so not sure but give me ur opinion
How light are the baits you mentioned? I may be envisioning lighter than you.

I haven't used a Zodias so I'm not sure how their "fast" taper is...since there is no standard it's hard to compare. If accuracy is the key here, that 7'3" rod is kinda long. No experience with the Crucial either.

A rod to consider is a St. Croix 68MXF...its available in Mojo Bass, Avid, Legend Tournament, Elite and Xtreme flavors. One of my favorite rods. It's casts light baits very accurately and has enough backbone to set the hook on smaller spinnerbaits/jigs.

A fast taper (depending on the rod) will work too but the XF will be tough to beat when light baits and accuracy are needed.

If your thinking 3/8oz, then a 6'8" MH F would be a fine choice to...that's a common rod from different manufacturers.

Cast-Away
Angler
Angler

Post by Cast-Away » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:12 pm

MB F5-76X Nautilus
perfekt for Chatterbaits 3/8-1/2Oz + 4-5" Trailer or Spinnerbaits from 1/2-3/4Oz.
Jigs from 3/8 - 5/8Oz + 4-6" Shads make the Nautilus perfekt !!!
Deep Cranks and Minnows from 100-130mm

Basspastor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basspastor » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:34 pm

I have both the Loomis 783 in GLX and IMX and the 6'8"MXF Avid. You can't go wrong with any of those rods. They also work very well for topwater, jerkbaits, and flukes. Awesome rods.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:42 am

NRX 843C MBR for any blades up to 3/4oz. 842 MBR for 3/8oz or less. The 843 could handle them all though, it's one awesome rod.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:33 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:NRX 843C MBR for any blades up to 3/4oz. 842 MBR for 3/8oz or less. The 843 could handle them all though, it's one awesome rod.
I couldn't agree more. I use my 843 for all my blades up to 1/2 oz.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:57 pm

After reading this thread I can't wait to get my 843 :)

Abu Daimano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Abu Daimano » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:34 pm

P3 Nautilus, but if you can't find one then the XX EMTF. Both are so versatile and have no problem switching between bottom contact and single hook moving lures

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:35 am

If you are going to use the same rod for all three baits, I'd get a 7'2"+- MH with a fast action. That length is still accurate, and moves more line on a hookset.
The fast action rod, as opposed to an extra fast, will load with spinnerbaits and chatterbaits, which are both moving baits so the fish helps set they hook themselves, but has enough backbone to set a jig hook, which is typically a wind down and swing hookset.
I use the older Powell Max rods. I haven't tried their new rods, but they make good rods.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:01 am

XX Diablo Spec R, or if you want something shorter, the Spinnerbait Special.

JTinKC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JTinKC » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:25 am

bigfruits wrote:MBR 783 GLX
This. 100% truth.