chatter help

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: chatter help

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:05 am

I think the softer rod and stretchy line helps the fish suck the bait in. Its not the same reason as using the same for crankbaits, which have shallow digging treble hooks. A stiffer rod and braid will help with the hook set and get the fish away from grass.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:42 am

I still prefer regular action rods for my chatterbaits. I used the X7 AM rod for most of the time last year and it was perfect because of the F7 Power to set the hook. The rod takes a lot of weight to start bending into the parabolic backbone and a fish is exactly that. The regular keeps fish pinned down better than the fast action rods that i tried and i haven't lost a fish on the X7 AM. It also helps to use jigs with quality hooks and most of mine have Owner cutting points to make that process easy.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:22 am

I would definitely throw a MH and/or regular action rod vs. a heavy and/or fast action rod if I fished the vibrating jig most often in traditional smallmouth waters. I'm trying to move big largemouth away from rock, wood, and grass on a long cast most of the time that I am fishing this style of bait. That's why I like the longer stiffer rods. I don't lose many fish on the longer stiffer rods.
I was out in back of the house on a golf course pond last night with a 7' MH rod with 15lb. Assasin. The fish were getting it nice and deep, but I had a few wallow in the grass. It's best to look at all of the variables and decide what is most important in your situation.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:44 am

I've experimented with different rods, the 843 is good but on the opposite side of that is the cumara reaction rod 3/8-3/4oz.
Two very different rods but same results so i guess its no concrete setup.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:57 am

One other thing for me has been all my fish come on shirtless chatter baits.
I use flukes and dippers only. I spoke early about the different rods and its important to know that they react so very differently
on the curmara rod I typically feel weight or just a heaviness on the rod and when i get the fish in the hook is mostly in the corners of the mouth.

Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothercanucker » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:56 pm

MH, braid with fluoro leader and a stinger hook... haven't had any problems.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:57 pm

I use a mh 7'3" Powell rod with a fast tip, and 17lb flouro for my chatterbait setup.
A friend poured me some with a stout hook, and I don't use a trailer hook.
I let them eat it for a second, and turn, so I feel them load the rod, and then, as Bobby Barrack says, I give them the bad news.
If you're losing fish, either you aren't getting the hook into their mouths, or they are short striking and missing it.
A stiffer rod and heavier fluoro carbon line will help with the hook penetration.
Changing your trailer, and adding a few strands of chartreuse skirt material at the bottom of your jighead, will help them see it better and take it deeper.
If they hit it, they want it, so find a way to accommodate them! ;)