Hair jig trailers?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Hair jig trailers?

Post by jmb27 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:31 pm

What do you guys use for trailers on hair jigs? Or none at all?

I am referring to both the larger "preacher style" jigs as well as "regular" sized hair jigs.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Hair jig trailers?

Post by smalljaw » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:33 pm

If you saw the preacher jigs up close, you'd notice they have 3 to 4 feathers that are a little longer than the hook, that is all the action needed. Regular size or even small hair jig I use with and without a trailer, it depends on a few different things, the most important of which is the fish and what it wants. The preacher style jigs are designed to be used without any trailer but regular hair jigs I find the tail section of a straight tail worm to work really well, I also like small chunks like the Prowler baits pro small chunk or the Ron Yurko Finesse chunk.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Hair jig trailers?

Post by NJ Jigman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:25 am

Preacher jigs are 6-7inches long, with long feathers that act as a trailer. For small cold water hair jigs, I tie in 1 or 2 rabbit zonker strips to act as tails. You don't get the desired action out of plastic in the cold weather, that's why hair jigs are so effective compared to silicone jigs in icy waters. Good luck.