hidden weight spinnerbaits

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

hidden weight spinnerbaits

Post by timsford » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Whats everyones favorite hidden weight spinnerbaits?mainly looking for 1/4-3/8oz baits because of shallow water. The water is pretty clear so realistic skirts are a plus if possible. Is there anything like this available, or would i be better off building my own

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: hidden weight spinnerbaits

Post by smalljaw » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:48 pm

I don't think there is a 1/4oz hidden weight but I may be wrong. The reason they aren't around or not really popular is 1/4oz is a small profile to begin and the idea of the hidden weight is to be able to use a heavier bait with a smaller profile. I have been making spinnerbaits for 17+ years now and I had a mold made but sold it because I didn't like the hidden weight system, I lost a good amount of fish because the weight on the hook shank makes it very easy for fish to throw and I throw them in places trailer hooks aren't going to work well. The other problem is when you kill the bait it falls almost horizontal and the top blade won't spin to give that helicopter effect that works for me, I like a spinnerbait to fall nose down to allow that blade to spin so when you are reeling the bait across a shallow flat and hit a drop off you can simply stop it and let it fall and catch fish that way, I couldn't get bit like that with the hidden weight. So now that my rant is over, if I was going to by a 3/8oz hidden weight bait that was available I'd grab a SOB Mini Me, those are one of the few spinnerbaits on the market I would buy and the Tilapia pattern they have is perfect for what you want.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:49 am

smalljaw will steer you right. If you really have to try a micro hidden weight spinnerbait, remove the rubber from a rubbercore sinker and crimp the lead on your hook shank. You can also use suspend dots/strips or putty. The hidden weight baits don't fall properly as said, but they cast well and are easier to burn if you need a tiny bait that can do those things. The rubbercore sinker makes using a plastic trailer difficult and takes some the gap out of your hook, but I have done it a few times in the past.

MCS
Angler
Angler

Post by MCS » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:13 am

Nichols has the mini 33 in 1/4 oz for sale on TWs website. I picked a few up not to long ago.
Nichols will also customize them to order if you give them a call. There is also another brand that might have
what you need, spot sticker baits is what they are called think TT did a review on them.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:01 pm

Ill have to give the nichols a try. I fish a pond with a ton of small bluegill for forage. I catch twice as many fish using a 1/8 or 3/16 spinnerbait as i do on a 1/4 or 3/8. Ive been using the 1/8 with a hand tied skirt pattern to match the hatch amd ise a small rubbercore sinker on the hook shank to have enough weight to use casting gear, and also so i can retrieve quickly since the water is very clear and it seems to draw more bites. The main drawback is that most 1/8 spinnerbaits are made cheaper and i lose a lot of fish with the sinker on the hook shank. I just wish i could find a small profile 1/4 oz bait with quality hardware and if possible a realistic bluegill pattern skirt. If anyone has any other suggestions on lures or even a mold so i can make my own, i am definitely open to any options