Opinions on heavy cover jig?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Opinions on heavy cover jig?

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:42 pm

I want some opinions on a good jig to fish offshore submerged heavy cover. My favorite lake has a lot of off shore ledges with lots of stumps, roots, and trees on the bottom. I usually fish a 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz football jig depending on the wind. They get hung up a lot in the wood and it really messes up spots going to get the jig because I hate constantly breaking them off. It also cuts down on my fishing time as well messing with getting unsnagged. Most of the places I'm fishing are 8-10 feet at the top of the ledge dropping down into 24-25 feet. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Opinions on heavy cover jig?

Post by John Puckett » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:10 am

I'm very fond of the Dirty Jigs no jack flipping jig. It works through wood and grass well for me. It's also available in a ton of colors and a fairly good weight selection.

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:21 am

I would not fish a football head in cover. They are more of a structure jig for me, rock, rubble, and gravel points. Try a more streamline jig made more for fishing cover and brush. I have been fishing a couple different tungsten 3/8 and 1/2 jigs this year and really like them so far. Smaller size does not seem to get hung so much. Good kuck

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:34 pm

We don't have a lot of wood/heavy cover in our low and clear SoCal reservoirs, but the Boss Heavy Cover jigheads have been working well for me when I get a chance to fish them. I tied a bunch of the heads up a few months ago. They fall a little slower than a lot of other jigs. So, you may have to upsize if you are fishing deep.
Last edited by toddmc on Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:09 am

Omegas Pro Mega in 5/8th or 7/8th is my deep water structure jig...Fished the 7/8ths the last 6 days up north in 20-25 feet on weedlines and rock... Great jig head design, Pro tie skirts and sharp hooks... I was snapping it and dragging it without problems.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:18 am

I have fished different jigs for this type of structure and the one I have found works and well and I'm happy with is the Denny Brauer structure jig by Strike King. They have two a small finesse and the heavy cover., I tend to lean more on the finesse one.