What trailer to use on a brown jig

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What trailer to use on a brown jig

Post by Okiekev » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:35 pm

665 almostevil wrote:In my experience you do not want to match trailers to skirts. Contrast is a good thing.

strike king rage craws for a aggressive thump
clear water cant beat the blue craw and cali craw
semi dirty okee craw
dirty black blue and black neon

strike king rage bug same colors as above just a little less aggressive

chigger craw green pumpkin is a very solid trailer anywhere in America(really good up north in clear water)
I have started using contrasting jig colors and like the results. I usually try to go with a darker color for the trailer. Right now I find myself using a 1/2 SK structure jig in green pumpkin with a black and blue pack chunk as my go to.

Jigandpig518
Angler
Angler

Post by Jigandpig518 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:31 am

I pretty much use green pumpkin on every jig PB&J , black and blue, black. So on seems to work great. In fact that's all I have for trailers is black and blue and green pumpkin

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:26 am

To me there are only 2 colors for jigs and trailers, either black and blue with black and blue trailer for murky water all the time and clear water in low light. And for clear to moderately stained water when the sun is out green. Any shade of green/brown works.

Things like weight and fall of jig, size/profile, how you are working the jig, are all much more important than the shade of color on the jig.

wiel0059
Angler
Angler

Post by wiel0059 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:19 am

4" Chigger Craw in Green Pumpkin. This is about the only open-water (ie: non-flipping) jig trailer I use at this point. The Smallmouth love it on football / arkie jigs.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:29 am

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkley_ ... BPCLC.html

I like the breen color the most, it has a little sheen to it that gives it a slight contrast to matte brown jigs.

Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Okiekev » Sun May 01, 2016 9:06 am

Update to my last post, I tried out some Strike King baby rage craws and my be hooked. I love the action these put out and the are fairly durable. I have been throwing them in green pumpkin. And dipping the tips of the claws in chartreuse die.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Sun May 01, 2016 9:53 am

I'm not very picky but my "favorite" is the 4" Roboworm Kickin' Craw. Looking at TW and the Roboworm site, I am guessing they don't make them any more.

If I am flipping then I want normally want something that will move lots of water on the way down. Some sort of ribbed body or curl tail.

When I'm pitching I prefer something with a curl tail of some sort, I feel like curl tails generally have a better action when crawled back than other baits but something with a ribbed body like a Beaver type bait looks great sitting on the bottom and has a nice thick profile.

If I'm swimming the jig, then a curl tail or paddle tail for sure.

As far as color, on a brown jig, I am always going with either a brown or orange trailer.

JTinKC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JTinKC » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:28 am

Net bait paca craw in green pumpkin would go well. I think it would be tough to tell a difference in water with any color to it.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:59 am

Green pumpkin with some kind of blue.