What trailer to use on a brown jig

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What trailer to use on a brown jig

Post by Jdmbassman » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:11 pm

Hey fellas,

I'm struggling to find a trailer to match the color of the brown jigs I have and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The jigs I'm referring to are listed below;
* Molix Tenax Brown
* Keitech Tungsten Casting Jig Model 1 Dark Green Pumpkin
* Keitech Tungsten Casting Jig Model 1 Brown Purple.

Thanks in advance

Matthew

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What trailer to use on a brown jig

Post by Jdmbassman » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:13 pm

My preferred trailer list is as follows;
Trailers
4" - Jackall Sasuteki Craw
* June Bug
* Green Pumpkin Candy

3.5" - Jackall Dart Hog
* Black Blue Flake Purple Tail
* Green Pumpkin Pepper
* Green Pumpkin Gold Chart Tail

3.5" - Molix SV Craw Magnum
* Green Pumpkin
* Blue Notte

3.0" - Jackall Cover Craw
* June Bug
* Green Pumpkin Candy

2.75" - Molix SV Craw
* Watermelon Gold Chart
* Blue Notte

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:42 pm

Remember that the trailer doesn't have to exactly match the jig. I actually have a fair bit of luck when the trailer contrasts the jig. For example, a green pumpkin trailer on a bluegill jig, or a black and blue trailer on a green pumpkin jig. That being said, a green pumpkin trailer on a peanut butter and jelly jig would be close enough shades to complement and still work well.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:00 am

A picture might help. Best I've found is a Keitch Crazy Flapper in Okeechobee Craw
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (26.86 KiB) Viewed 11453 times

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:33 am

Almost always a green pumpkin paca chunk of different sizes depending on jig and skirt length. Simple, lots of action, cheap, and very effective.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:03 am

Whatever the fish want that day...
Seriously man, fishing isn't like adding parts to a car, as in "this exact item gets you this exact outcome". Colour, especially with jigs, is usually my last concern. Weight and size of trailer (and combined = rate of fall) is usually the first consideration. Overall profile, kicking action (or none) as well. For colour, most of the time it boils down to black for stained water and brown/green for clearer situations. Sparkle if the fish need to see it better, none if they are finicky. The added blues, reds and other hues are often there to sell baits. I know a guy who for 20 years has fished exclusively straight black or straight pumpinkseed on all of his jigs, plastics etc. He kills it. Cuts down on the colours you need to buy, and carry on the boat.

I punch with a black/blue skirt and pumpkinseed trailer almost exclusively. Gives some contrast, depth and illusion of complexity and movement. If it's chocolate milk out there, switch the trailer to black. If it's gin clear, switch the skirt to green/brown.
If you can get a read on what colour the craws are in your local lake, that is a help as well. Look closely at forage. Gills, shad, craws, etc. Many different colours, but rarely are the specific forage you are trying to imitate monochromatic.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:21 pm

Lately I have been using Zoom UV Speed Craws as trailers, I usually pinch the first segment off for a little shorter profile. They come in a very wide range of colors. Pumpkin might be a good choice for a brown jig. I like Green Pumpkin/Purple flake on a GP jig. Black/purple/red flake on a black blue jig.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:28 am

There's a perfect PACA color for any jig on planet earth. When I want a larger profile I use a paca craw instead of a chunk.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:21 am

For browns I use anything purple most of the time. My second color for most jigs would be green pumpkin. Berkely chigger ZMan craws are awesome. Not a fan of the Paca craw. To each his own I guess.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:51 pm

I like a green pumpkin trailer on my brown jigs. Very natural color combination. A little blue or purple flake sometimes can help and on occasion I will dye the tips with a little orange.

Yamamoto twin tail grub (you can thank me later!!!)
Also like the Zoom ultra vibe speed craw and the Netbait Paca Chunks or craws.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks for all the help. As my time on the water increases and my knowledge, I have grown to like the Paca Chunk a lot. I hated it at first use because I was incorrectly Texas rigging the bait on a jig. Now, the Brown and Perfection colors (the fish in the Milwaukee waters go crazy for a little orange) are always in my tackle box.

I must check out the twin grub too.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:44 pm

For a full size jig like those, especially the Tenax jig in brown, I'd use a 4" Yamamoto double tail grub in cinnamon black flake and for the casting jig in brown purple I'd go with the same grub in cinnamon purple flake and the dark green pumpkin I'd again use the same grub in a green pumpkin black flake. The Yamamoto cinnamon has what I consider to be the perfect amount of contrast with brown, it blend in with the brown but still shows up and it looks like a natural color variation of something alive, excellent trailer color for brown jigs. When it comes to green pumpkin, every manufacturer has a different shade and again, Yamamoto has a green pumpkin that has a good bit of brown in it which is different from green pumpkin skirt material and provides a little contrast while still keeping a natural appearance.

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 665 almostevil » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:00 am

In my experience you do not want to match trailers to skirts. Contrast is a good thing.

strike king rage craws for a aggressive thump
clear water cant beat the blue craw and cali craw
semi dirty okee craw
dirty black blue and black neon

strike king rage bug same colors as above just a little less aggressive

chigger craw green pumpkin is a very solid trailer anywhere in America(really good up north in clear water)

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:14 pm

I'm hopeful the Netbaits Paca Chunk Perfection is the way to go. Up here in the Wisconsin waters, they like a bit of orange

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:12 am

for browns jigs I love reaction innovation's spring break or oxblood color
in smallie or sweet beaver, depending on the profile of the bait that I want.
I've also used paca chunks/craws in peanut butter/jelly, and 5 inch yama twin tails
with some success.