Jigs with no trailers

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Jigs with no trailers

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:40 pm

I met this old gentlemen a few weeks ago at one of the pond I fish, he was fishing a Pepper casting jig with no trailer
to my surprise he was catching fish one of the 6.5 lb.
He told me he is being doing it for years, he said that without a trailer, fishing from shore he could get much better distance
in the cast with out the trailer getting hung up in the wind as he put it.
Anybody have ant experience with this?

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Jigs with no trailers

Post by MRQturbo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:27 pm

i'm not so sure about what the old man is saying lol....if anything the jig trailer would give you more weight to be able to cast further.....

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:44 pm

I have caught smallmouth like that, they were grabbing the claws of the craw trailer and when I pulled the claws off they would grab the head. They were hitting so I took the craw off and just fished the jig and the next thing I knew they were eating the jig and I was catching them, 14 fish on the jig and 11 came with no trailer. I have done that twice but I have tried it a dozen or so times when the bite is tough or if they pick the jig up and drop it and more often than not, they won't hit. The times that works is when the fish are active but prefer a smaller profile, and rather than use a jig with no trailer, I simply go with a smaller jig, I make my own so it isn't a bit deal. As for casting distance, well that is a new one to me, I know when I'm pitching a jig, it is easier to get distance with a trailer on than without but I never casted a jig for distance without a trailer as the only time I do that is with 5/16oz finesse jigs, I like to drag those on rock flats.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:18 pm

I guess with the trailer especially with the claws, they do create resistance and to some respect they do slow down the cast
I know my son was using it with no trailer and for sure he was getting more distance, it seemed like it was more aerodynamic with no trailer, and traveling faster during the cast.
I haven't tried it yet, cause I always thought the trailer makes it complete,but the men was catching fish with out it.