Keitch jigs

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Keitch jigs

Post by Jdmbassman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:56 am

Hi all,

Let me know your experiences with Keitch jigs;
Mono Spin Jig - Lightest
Guard Spin Jig
Model 1
Model 2.

It would be good to hear feedback before I go and buy a load. Also, let me know what trailers work well with them.

Cheers

Matthew
Last edited by Jdmbassman on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Keitch jigs

Post by Inspectorlee » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:46 pm

I've only used the mono spin and guard spin jigs. Many people say that they are too small, "crappie jigs" is the usual term. But I buy them specifically for bass. The hooks are a size 2 and work well with 3-4 inch trailers. Honestly, there's no point in buying the mono spin as the weed guard is just too weak. The guard spin jig has a five-strand guard that works much better. But I can't remember if there are colors that are only available in the mono spin jig, so this might sway your decision. Still, get the guard spin as it has enough of a guard that it can be worked through light timber, if you're careful.

You can get respectable casting distance, but you'll need to use a medium/medium-light rod that has a softer tip so that it can load properly for casting. I use a Megabass Orochi XX dropshot rod and it works very good. These jigs work well for my purposes when the bass aren't responding to usual power presentations.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:21 pm

I am so glad you wrote this. I just bought a new MH rod to handle jigs and it suits 3/8oz the best but I was going to put 1/8oz on it so I could get a few extra bites. That would have been a school boy error.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:12 am

Keitech's my favorite brand for jigs.

Mono Spin: I mostly use it for stream fishing or cold weather bass fishing. They work great with a 2" Little Spider trimmed past the "skirt" as a trailer. Caught tons of smallmouth on them, in addition to crappie, perch, rainbow trout, brown trout, and some very sluggish largemouth. Love fishing them on 2-6lb test and an ultralight/light power rod.

Guard Spin: I use 'em in the same spots and conditions as the Mono, but I'll fish them into the spring and summer because of the weedguard. The hook's big enough on these to use a 2" Swing Impact as a trailer, which works super good.

Model 1: My favorite flipping jig. Caught tons of fish flipping these into moderate grass. Skirts are awesome, only grip is the hook is tiny. Have to tweak it up a smidge to get a normal hookup ratio.

Model 2: I honestly haven't fished these a lot, but I use them to flip very sparse grass in the spring, where the thinner skirt and weedguard gives it a smaller profile on less aggressive fish. Didn't use them as real football jigs a lot. Also, I noticed that the 1/4oz model is extremely tiny. When fishing with the 3/8 and 1/2 oz, I didn't notice any issues with the hook, even leaving it at the stock angle.

Hope this helps!

*Edit*

I usually toss Paca Chunks for a trailer on the last two.

jmudd
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmudd » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:07 pm

The football jigs get a ton of bites but the hook sucks lost two 5 pound fish on these both times bent the hook.

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:03 am

I have caught more smallies on the 3/8oz FB jig than any other. Its a finesse FB jig with light wire and smallies love it...even in pressured waters. 4in chomped twin tail is my trailer of choice

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:37 pm

jmudd wrote:The football jigs get a ton of bites but the hook sucks lost two 5 pound fish on these both times bent the hook.
The hook does not suck, it is very sharp and high quality. People need to understand not to tighten the drag too much in finesse hooks. User error.

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:31 am

Agreed. Its a FB jig to use on a M powered rod with 10lb FC......works wonders with the drag set correctly. Boated many 4-5lb smallies that fight harder than most LMB. I wouldnt recommend this bait for targeting big LMs in deep water however

meach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by meach » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:04 am

Love these jigs as others mentioned its more of a finesse jig I use the 1/4 ounce casting model for fishing in less than 10fow and have great results..again finesse..loosen drag, nothing more than 15lb test and you shouldn't have issues w the hook straightening

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:38 am

jmudd wrote:The football jigs get a ton of bites but the hook sucks lost two 5 pound fish on these both times bent the hook.
that's not reassuring at all. don't they use gammy hooks?

meach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by meach » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:59 pm

TW does state its a gammy hook...every lure has it's purpose most issues are operator error..someone w 65lb braid and a taught drag will bend the out this hook , can't use this jig like you would a use a dirty jigs no Jack jig which you can throw into the nastier cover.I have only used the 1/4 oz models on spinning gear 10lb braid and a forgiving drag..have caught well over 50 fish on a single jig without issue..including multiple 5+ lbrs
When used correctly these jigs are amazing smaller profile and tungsten heads.my go to when the water cools

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:22 pm

I've only fished the model 1 and model 2, no problems with the size of the hooks or them bending out . These are finesse jigs designed to be fished with smaller trailers and lighter line, very high quality and will successfully land a lot of nice fish if used properly .

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Keitech jigs

Post by stykbowslim » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:47 am

I have good success on my local waters with the Keitech Model 1, and I also just had a great week at Lake Gaston, NC pitching/skipping a 1/4 oz. Model 1 with a Missle craw and boated numerous bass with a couple of hugging four pounds. Used a new Dobyns DX743C with 16lb. Sunline Sniper fluoro. . . the Model 1 is a great finesse jig !