Best Hair Jigs?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best Hair Jigs?

Post by joeim8 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:48 am

Does anyone know where good Hair Jigs (Deer Hair) can be purchased from online? Seems to be mostly synthetic from the major retailers.

Thanks

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best Hair Jigs?

Post by NJ Jigman » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:06 am

It's hard to find good hair jigs that don't go for 9 bucks a pop. I make hair jigs, If you like I could send you some pic's to see what you think. send me a pm if your interested.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:50 am

Are you talking about the large hair jigs being used on ledges? I'm asking because you are going to see a lot of synthetic hair being used because those jigs require buck tails with 5" to 6" long hair. The large buck tails are very expensive which is one reason you see such high prices and the reason for the synthetic and most of it is going to be a product called Yak Fur, it is very good as it has more action than buck tail but what makes buck tail so good is that it creates a minnow profile when it is wet, craft type fur compresses more and has a lot of movement like marabou.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:06 pm

Either of the above guys would be good starting points for hair jigs. Smalljaw makes some really nice finesse hair jigs in a handful of styles and color. Darn nice jigs.

joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by joeim8 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Yeah sorry I should have specified, I am referring to the ledge style hair jigs made with real components. I was actually hoping to get some in the smaller range though like the 4-5" range?

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:02 am

If you are doing an extensive internet search, make sure to include one with the term 'Bucktail' or 'Bucktail Jig'. These type baits have been a staple among saltwater anglers since well before my time and are often in similar shapes as this 'new' bass fishing trend. The saltwater types target many species ranging from striper to cobia to grouper and others and are available in any size/weight you can imagine. The only variance is the heads on these is often a bit slimmer than what you might expect.