Matching trailers or not?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Matching trailers or not?

Post by jmb27 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:43 am

Do you match the trailer to the jig/chatterbait/spinnerbait skirt color or do you using something that contrasts?

I've pretty much always matched the trailer to the skirt.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Matching trailers or not?

Post by CGrinder » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:36 pm

I normally match, but this year I'm experimenting with contrast a little bit.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:55 pm

This is going to sound stupid but I match the trailer but I do it in a way to create contrast. For example, I like using a pearl colored chatterbait but I use a white swim bait as a trailer, it matches the color pretty much but the white does provide some contrast when it is next to pearl. I try to keep it at that level, I don't have a lot of confidence using a black chatterbait with a chartreuse trailer and even though I know that stark contrast works, I just don't have the confidence throwing it so a little contrast is what I look for.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:17 pm

smalljaw wrote:This is going to sound stupid but I match the trailer but I do it in a way to create contrast. For example, I like using a pearl colored chatterbait but I use a white swim bait as a trailer, it matches the color pretty much but the white does provide some contrast when it is next to pearl. I try to keep it at that level, I don't have a lot of confidence using a black chatterbait with a chartreuse trailer and even though I know that stark contrast works, I just don't have the confidence throwing it so a little contrast is what I look for.
Interesting. I think I'll have to try that approach as the baitfish aren't all one color, but a blend as well.

I was thinking of the trailer deal when I saw a dark green pumpkin paddle tail/fluke trailer on a black/blue chatterbait style jig. Also, I plan on using swim jigs much more this year and wanted some opinions.

Thanks,

crankmaniac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by crankmaniac » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:24 pm

I prefer a contrast most of the time for my jig fishing.For exemple a black jig with a blue sapphire trailer are mainstay in my arsenal. A green pumpkin jig with a bull frog colored trailer is an other exemple when i try to match a perch or bluegill. :-k I tend to match a little more when i fish ultra clear water in sunny condition. ;)

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:47 pm

Jigs are a blast to fish and come in all sorts of sizes, shapes and styles. Yup. I find myself enjoying bladed jigs as much as possible. I prefer to contrast color selection, but make a point of keeping dark color with dark color and light color with light color. Dark could be black, heavy blues, greens, purples, reds, or even an orange where light would be the white, silver, gold, pinks, yellows, or translucent of any color.

I'm not looking to create realism. In my book, that's what swimbaits are for. I'm looking to help fish locate my lure with pauses and random movement because I believe additional stimuli helps the cause. This is where the contrast benefits by adding one more visual hint to my advantage. The only time I make an exception would be ultra clear water.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:07 am

It really doesn't matter either way.

I was talking to a Biologist the other day who does a lot of experiments with Bass. Although Colour does matter, it is one of the last items on the list they found were important factors in feeding fish.

I personally have always tried to match the skirt to trailer but know people who will just throw anything on and they catch just as many fish.