is this the correct way to secure a trailer hook?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

is this the correct way to secure a trailer hook?

Post by 21farms » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:56 am

this is kind of embarrassing considering how long i've been fishing :oops: but i've never been sure on the correct way to use the tubing that comes with spinnerbait trailer hooks.

intuitively, i thought you cut a small section of tubing and slide the hook point through it like this:
but that doesn't work because the tubing is too big for the hook

the only other way then is to pierce the side of the tubing with the hook point past the barb like this:
is that the right way? if so, why using tubing instead of just a little round plastic disk?

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: is this the correct way to secure a trailer hook?

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:22 am

Slide the tube over the eye, cut it so it covers the Eye. Then slip the eye over the other hook penetrating the tube as you go. Same idea as you had in option number two but cleaner and holds the hook in position better.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:28 am

I've seen it used the way you have it set up in the second pic for a free floating presentation and also by placing the tubing over the eyelet of the hook and then sliding it on to the SB hook for more of a stand out presentation.

I'm sure others will be able to chime in with more info.

Jeff

Edit: Bucket posted right before I did and didn't see his response.

X2 on his description ...

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:07 am

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:48 am

:oops: oh man, that's so obvious :oops:

i actually used to do it that way a looong time ago but found i snagged and lost too many spinnerbaits doing it that way so i decided to switch. i had forgotten all about it until now. currently, i use a paper hole punch to punch out little round discs from soft plastic lids. i was watching a KVD video on spinnerbaits this week and saw that he pierces the side of the tubing and thought that was correct way. :lol:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:39 pm

Picture two allows the hook to swing freely and you will find that the trailer will often catch the fish on the outside of the face during the fight when the fish gets the main hook. The trailer hook creates a clamp hold that fish can't often get free from. The tubing will likely come off along with the trailer hook the way that it is rigged in picture one.
Many manufacturers originally recommended the rigging the same as endbasshunter's post, but you will find that most anglers now recommend a free floating hook. I think it was a recent episode of the Bass Pro's that endbasshunter and I saw where KVD was talking about rigging them like picture two. The fixed hook in endbasshunter's picture can eliminate twisting problems that a plastic trailer may have with a trailer hook, but the trailer hook won't often create the clamp that you get with a free swinging hook.
The tubing is not the most durable material. Make sure that you replace it often or use a hole punch on a plastic milk jug to get a cheap reliable disk. The rubber dots (Bait Buttons) that TT recommended in a review a while back go bad very quickly, just like the band on skirts. Beware of those and keep the green tool that holds the dots in a cool dark place.
Last edited by toddmc on Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:34 pm

I also prefer the free floating hook. Either piercing a piece of plastic tubing as per the OP's last pic or using a punched coffee lid disc. I find that if you rig the trailer hook with the tube over the eye you need to adjust the hook after every cast as it ends up pointing at various angles instead of being in line with the original hook.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:39 am

Bassmar is correct when he says FREE FLOATING is the way to go ... I take some clear PLASTIC aquarium tubing or medical tubing , the clear stuff , cut a length of it , about 6 inches , split it in half first or you can cut it into 1/4 inch sections first , then split each section separately. You will have a curved 1/4inch piece. Actually you will have 48 pieces . Place the trailer hook on the spinnerbait , hook point upwards . Then press the center of the piece , curved side facing down over the spinnerbaits' hook point . You can use needle nose pliers to hold the small piece of tubing . It makes it easier to pierce the center of the small piece of tubing . Use scissors to round off the 4 corners of the piece . DO NOT use latex tubing or any other "gummy " type tubing . It will rot and make a mess and have to be replaced . The aquarium tubing will last.....maybe forever . If not , at least a heck of a long time . If it slides up the shank of the spinnerbait hook , it will resist coming off . If you want to remove it , just use pliers to slowly pull it over the barb a small amount . It may be able to be reused . I use strike king 1/0 trailer hooks, in the yellow pack . They have a shorter shank . I prefer them on the 1/4 ounce spinnerbait . That is the size of spinnerbaits I use the most.
Last edited by tditox4 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:40 am

I always do it like you have in the second pic, free swinging hook.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:22 am

Teal101 wrote:I always do it like you have in the second pic, free swinging hook.
Same here.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:34 am

Do it the free floating way, but slide a piece of tubing first, then hook, then another piece of tubing. It'll help make sure the hook doesn't slide all the way, and you can position it wherever you want.