Hair jigs

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Hair jigs

Post by 11kalnmitc » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:22 am

I've always been intrigued by hair jigs, and have made quite a few. However I always find myself reaching for a silicon skirted jig instead. So I have two questions for you guys, also it should be noted I'm targeting smallmouth primarily in streams and rivers.
-when do you reach for a hair jig instead of a silicon skirted jig?
-with hair jigs, both crawfish imitating and baitfish imitating offerings, do you use trailers, and what kind of trailers?

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Hair jigs

Post by JerryC » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:57 am

I dont fish many hair jigs but I do have a few, i also have a few hair/silicon jigs as well. Rule of thumb is hair jigs for water between 30-50 degrees or so (at least for here in the north east) for smallmouth. Silicone jigs for anything above that..

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:08 am

Hair jigs can work in any season but they are most effective in cold water as JerryC has pointed out. I make my jigs and tie different materials based on what I'm trying to imitate but I mostly use buck tail and craft fur. As for needing a trailer, yes and no, it depends on the jig and the mood of the fish, with a buck tail jig, they fall fast with a very subtle action, an Uncle Josh spinning strip make a great trailer as does a Zoom super chunk Jr. and I use them to not only add bulk but to slow the fall down a bit. Most trailers are the chunk type with hair jigs, and when it comes to skirted jigs, for smallies I'm almost always using a finesse jig with a craw trailer. The one I make and use a lot is a 5/16oz jig similar to an Eakins jig with a craw trailer of some type because I use that in water above 50 degrees.

Mags00
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mags00 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:25 am

I usually do best with them vertically, still trying to get into using them in creeks or the rivers near by, vertically they work best for me at the lock and dams on the Allegheny and at Crooked Creek. But, I also mostly catch walleye with them. I've had success with them in all ranges of water temp, going to try them out when I go to Erie this year for smallies.

11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 11kalnmitc » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:50 pm

Mags00, I see you're from Greensburg, ever fish the loyalhanna river for smallies, some fun spots in Latrobe

Mags00
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mags00 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:50 am

No, I've fished the creek near the dam it's really good small mouth waters, I usually try to get up to the Allegheny for smallies, but haven't caught any real big ones lately, I've gotten bigger ones from Crooked Creek spillway. Hoping to hit the Allegheny this weekend and try some of these new baits I've picked up over the winter.

11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 11kalnmitc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:45 pm

Nice, if I was gonna be in the area this summer I'd say we should hit one of those waterways up, but within a week of getting home after graduation I'll be moving to Cortland, NY for my job. Guess its time to find new waters, never knew the spillway from crooked creek had smallies though