Closed eye chatterrbait jig heads .

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Closed eye chatterrbait jig heads .

Post by Real Pudd legend » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:19 am

Generally , chatterbait has a standard open eye but I see some people make them with the closed eye which a split ring attaches to the blade instead of directly from the eye. My question is , does the baits still work and perform the same ? Your thoughts please

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Closed eye chatterrbait jig heads .

Post by smalljaw » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:05 pm

I've been making my own for quite some time with a split ring and they perform well but there are some differences. The biggest differences are the noise and movement, the chatterbaits that have the blade attached directly to the head make more noise, the hit the head every time the blade moves side to side. On the movement part, the bait that uses the split ring will hunt more and at high speeds have a much more erratic action but they only bump the head occasionally so there is less noise. If you value the movement of the bait over the noise then you'll like the split ring, if you like a lot of noise or a truer tracking bait, then a blade attached direct to the hook eye is a better option.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:36 am

Thanks for the info smalljaw. I ordered a few items from barlows to try it out, hopefully it works out. I'm use to having the bait vibrate a lot such as the discontinued booyah boogee bait. So your saying that it vibrates a little more subtle and doesn't create more water movement ?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:40 am

Both the closed eye with rings and open eye jig heads catch lots of fish. But, I prefer the open eye from Barlow's. I called Barlow's a few weeks ago to see if they could get or had the mold and components to make my own. They said that they have a lot of customers wanting to get the old open eye model because many prefer it. As expected, Barlow's said they will not have any more open eye jig heads and they don't know where to get a mold or components.
Smalljaw, do you know anything about where to get a mold and components to make my own open eye heads? I only have about a dozen of the original Barlow's open eye heads left.
Just for fun, here is a picture of a nice open eye vibrating jig fish to start the morning yesterday at Havasu 2/16. It's a wonder how a photo can make a 4+ look like a 10. ;)
Attachments
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG (36.76 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
Last edited by toddmc on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:46 am

Thanks for the info fellas , I did order a few closed heads and blades from Barlows . I got the duo lock snap size 2 and standard blades. What size split rings should I use for a nice fit and strength?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:18 pm

toddmc wrote:Both the closed eye with rings and open eye jig heads catch lots of fish. But, I prefer the open eye from Barlow's. I called Barlow's a few weeks ago to see if they could get or had the mold and components to make my own. They said that they have a lot of customers wanting to get the old open eye model because many prefer it. As expected, Barlow's said they will not have any more open eye jig heads and they don't know where to get a mold or components.
Smalljaw, do you know anything about where to get a mold and components to make my own open eye heads? I only have about a dozen of the original Barlow's open eye heads left.
Just for fun, here is a picture of a nice open eye vibrating jig fish to start the morning yesterday at Havasu 2/16. It's a wonder how a photo can make a 4+ look like a 10. ;)

Nice fish!!! The reason you can't get the open eye is because Z-Man is pushing their patent hard, it is on the shape of the blade and the way it is attached, but if attached by split ring it is fine. What Barlows did was they had a spin cast mold made that used a wire form attached to the hook like a spinnerbait would have, but this one was an open loop to let you attach a blade. You can buy a mold called a "Sparkie" jig andwhat you do is you take the hook and you put it on a hard surface and use a center punch and open the hook eye up, then stick it in the mold and pour it, then you have an open hook eye to attach the blade to. I know guys that don't like the split ring , specifically a friend of mine so I make his using a spinnerbait mold, instead of making a wire form I use cut a 4" piece of wire and after I cast the head I make a bend in the wire, put the blade on, and then make a single wrap to make sure it won't open up and then cut the excess off and you have your vibrating jig.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:31 am

smalljaw wrote:
toddmc wrote:Both the closed eye with rings and open eye jig heads catch lots of fish. But, I prefer the open eye from Barlow's. I called Barlow's a few weeks ago to see if they could get or had the mold and components to make my own. They said that they have a lot of customers wanting to get the old open eye model because many prefer it. As expected, Barlow's said they will not have any more open eye jig heads and they don't know where to get a mold or components.

Nice fish!!! The reason you can't get the open eye is because Z-Man is pushing their patent hard, it is on the shape of the blade and the way it is attached, but if attached by split ring it is fine. What Barlows did was they had a spin cast mold made that used a wire form attached to the hook like a spinnerbait would have, but this one was an open loop to let you attach a blade. You can buy a mold called a "Sparkie" jig andwhat you do is you take the hook and you put it on a hard surface and use a center punch and open the hook eye up, then stick it in the mold and pour it, then you have an open hook eye to attach the blade to. I know guys that don't like the split ring , specifically a friend of mine so I make his using a spinnerbait mold, instead of making a wire form I use cut a 4" piece of wire and after I cast the head I make a bend in the wire, put the blade on, and then make a single wrap to make sure it won't open up and then cut the excess off and you have your vibrating jig.
Thanks for the help. I knew the patent issue would eventually come up with these heads. The melting pot hasn't been out in about twenty years. I have been buying pre-made heads over the last few decades.