Compact spinnerbait

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Compact spinnerbait

Post by Bassmar » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:19 pm

My favorite was the now discontinued Terminator Classic Tungsten spinnerbait. A relatively heavy bait with a compact frame. I see that Strike King have a Baby Burner bait. I prefer a bait without the hidden weight under the skirt. This hidden weight makes it difficult to attach a trailer.
What other baits are there out there weighing over 3/8 oz but with a small frame? Preferably not the hidden weight type such as the Screaming Eagle.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Compact spinnerbait

Post by steve1206 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:34 pm

Take a look at the Accent brand Mark Dove River Special. They're assembled right here near me in The St. Louis area, which I didn't know when I first used them, and are a very compact 1/2 oz bait (especially with a trimmed skirt). The bait is very popular around Kentucky Lake in particular. I've bought a ton of the regular 'ol chartreuse and white.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:52 am

Maybe Terminator will bring the Tungsten bait back if we continue to talk about it. You can take any 1/4 oz. bait and add a few lead strips under the skirt and on the hook shank. You can still add a trailer on the hook shank if you don't use too much lead tape. The big issue is that the wire on most 1/4 oz. baits is not as durable as that on the Terminator Tungsten. Also the hook gap is not as big. A trailer hook is a must if fishing for larger fish.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:40 am

Take a look at Gann's Mirage Spinnerbait. Been tempted to try try them myself. Looks to have a nice keeper as well.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:00 am

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:22 pm

I have used Accent High Riser double bladed buzzbaits for years with excellent results.

Thanks for sharing their spinnerbait options, looks like they use a very high quality blade still!

Gots-ta get me some! 8-)

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:58 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:Nichols Pulsators

http://nicholslures.com/store/index.php ... path=59_68

Are the Pulsators compact models? I see that they have an Elite Lo Pro model but this has the weight beneath the skirt hiding half the hook shaft.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Nichols_ ... LOPRO.html

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:00 am

S.O.B. used to make great compact spinnerbaits in this weight range...heard they were bought out though, so don't know what has happened to the quality/availability, etc.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:01 pm

dragon1 wrote:S.O.B. used to make great compact spinnerbaits in this weight range...heard they were bought out though, so don't know what has happened to the quality/availability, etc.

They still do but again it is the "hidden weight" weight type with the weight covering a large part of the hook shank.

ctgalloway21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ctgalloway21 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:13 pm

dragon1 wrote:S.O.B. used to make great compact spinnerbaits in this weight range...heard they were bought out though, so don't know what has happened to the quality/availability, etc.
Spotsticker in GA bought them and still make the Mini-Me. I have recently ordered a few from him and they are awesome! My current favorite spinnerbait. Give him a shout. He can custom any color or blades if it is not offered on the website.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:28 pm

Take a look at the Sebile Pro Shad Finesse spinnerbait.At first glance it does not appear to be compact at all :?
The bait does have a hinged top arm that aids during hook ups(making it very compact)
It also features a wide gap super sharp hook and compact relatively short skirt.
The bait weighs 1/2oz casts a mile with very little resistance on the retrieve.The blades rotate on super slow retrieves and helicopters better than any other spinnerbait I have used before.Does not feel too much of a bait even on the MB Griffon.
A true 1/2oz 'compact' finesse bait.The colors and finish are top notch as well.
Would be perfect for clear water smallies.
http://esoxiste.com/un-jour-un-leurre-l ... de-sebile/

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:16 pm

Bassmar wrote:

They still do but again it is the "hidden weight" weight type with the weight covering a large part of the hook shank.
Yeah, I dislike this design as well since I use trailers 99% of the time on my spinnerbaits. I personally wrap soldering wire on the hook shank and tighten down with needle nose pliers.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:48 am

Eco Pro Tungsten Rapid Fire

compact because it's tungsten but priced like a regular ol' spinnerbait

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:31 am

21farms wrote:Eco Pro Tungsten Rapid Fire

compact because it's tungsten but priced like a regular ol' spinnerbait
Have you or anyone else fished this bait? It does look compact in the picture and description.
Last edited by toddmc on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:15 am

toddmc wrote:Have you or anyone else fished this bait? It looks does look compact in the picture and description.
i have some NIP at home. they are very compact. i'll try to post up some comparison pics tonight to show relative sizes.