Z-Man at it again, no USA Megabass Wild Header

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Z-Man at it again, no USA Megabass Wild Header

Post by toddmc » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:42 pm

Pen3 wrote:
toddmc wrote:
Pen3 wrote:I would actually buy a Megabass or Evergreen toilet seat if they ever make one.
Would you buy a used one? If yes, you are a true JDM addict and it may be wise to shut down your ebay account. Seek help or go fishing! :D
Well then i would like to see your more superior version of the wild header that you made with only $2.
Barlowstackle.com or lurepartsonline.com both have all you need. It's not rocket science.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:14 pm

I looked through and can't find a 3d swimbait jig head with the eye in front and a wire keeper. The only head close is the Blade Runner swimbait heads which are already $3 with decent hooks, bad keeper, bad paint and eye on top. With the blade, skirt, split will probably bring the price up a $1-2. I wouldn't mind just spending $4 more and get one that is all done with quality components. And no i am not going to buy equipment and pour my own jigs or buy them in bulk to make tons of it either.

I guess people who buy Megabass reels and rods are idiots too because its not rocket science to just buy shiny parts and modify domestic gears for cheap.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:15 am

Pen3 wrote:I looked through and can't find a 3d swimbait jig head with the eye in front and a wire keeper. The only head close is the Blade Runner swimbait heads which are already $3 with decent hooks, bad keeper, bad paint and eye on top. With the blade, skirt, split will probably bring the price up a $1-2. I wouldn't mind just spending $4 more and get one that is all done with quality components. And no i am not going to buy equipment and pour my own jigs or buy them in bulk to make tons of it either.

I guess people who buy Megabass reels and rods are idiots too because its not rocket science to just buy shiny parts and modify domestic gears for cheap.
It's no wonder there are so many lure companies. Anyone other than a casual angler knows that they can save a lot of money on baits making their own when they go through a lot of them. Both websites must be too difficult to navigate! :roll: Painted heads are less than a dollar each, blades are less than 25 cents each, snaps are about 10 cents each, and skirts are about 50 cents each when you tie them yourself (and you get to choose the color(s)). It takes about five minutes to make a bait. It would add about 50 cents if you buy a premade skirt. It's not exactly the same as the Megabass and I understand that you really like the bait. I think the bait is nice also, but my version has caught fish over 10 pounds, won a few tournaments, and sacked limits as big as 32 pounds. So, I don't feel a need to change. Let us know when the Megabass has done the same for you. I have many tuned custom reels. Some with Megabass parts. You are reaching when you say that I don't like JDM tackle. Take a look at the earlier posts and you will see that I suggested that people buy the Wild Header in Japan.

River Rat316
Angler
Angler

Post by River Rat316 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:31 am

steve1206 wrote:
I totally agree...of course it wasn't Z Man's idea to begin with...they lifted the concept too. Bums me out that they were the ones that filed for the patent and use well below par components.

Z-Man bought the concept, that is alot different than "lifting" the concept, either way it is intellectual property and deserves to be protected, otherwise we might as well move to China

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:11 am

I see that The Hook Up Tackle has these for sale on their website, for now at least. Not a bad price really. Anyone purchase one yet? I think I may have to try at least one. If you have used one, I would like to know your thoughts on it. Thanks

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:37 am

River Rat316 wrote:
steve1206 wrote:
I totally agree...of course it wasn't Z Man's idea to begin with...they lifted the concept too. Bums me out that they were the ones that filed for the patent and use well below par components.

Z-Man bought the concept, that is alot different than "lifting" the concept, either way it is intellectual property and deserves to be protected, otherwise we might as well move to China
I respect intellectual property. I've been involved in businesses where it is very important. My point was two-fold...the original chatter bait that Zman bought the rights to, was not the first bladed jig, i.e. not their idea...and I'm bummed that that is where the patent landed because the build/quality is not where it could be.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:18 am

No patent problems with these :lol:
Coming soon from MB
http://www.megabass.co.jp/site/products/v9/

River Rat316
Angler
Angler

Post by River Rat316 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:50 pm

[quote="steve1206"

I respect intellectual property. I've been involved in businesses where it is very important. My point was two-fold...the original chatter bait that Zman bought the rights to, was not the first bladed jig, i.e. not their idea...and I'm bummed that that is where the patent landed because the build/quality is not where it could be.[/quote]

I know the eaker shaker, and a couple others were way ahead of the original, but the original was the first to be patented with a direct connection to the hook and that bend in a blade. I also agree it is disappointing when their quality is so bad on something like this, and they are driving quality builders out of the market, but it is what it is.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:46 pm

steve1206 wrote:
River Rat316 wrote:
steve1206 wrote:

I respect intellectual property. I've been involved in businesses where it is very important. My point was two-fold...the original chatter bait that Zman bought the rights to, was not the first bladed jig, i.e. not their idea...and I'm bummed that that is where the patent landed because the build/quality is not where it could be.
Yeah that's what sucks about the whole deal, those Z-man baits are junk.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:16 am

It's funny you guys rip this bait and it has won Brett Hite over $200k this year and it was a bait used the Mueller in the classic.

I personally like the bait and have had no issues with the new Elite model. I still have plenty of the original ones that I use on a regular basis. I have sharpened the hooks on the originals because they needed a better hook on it.

We all have baits we like and hate. Nothing wrong with that.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:58 am

big_gee wrote:It's funny you guys rip this bait and it has won Brett Hite over $200k this year and it was a bait used the Mueller in the classic.

I personally like the bait and have had no issues with the new Elite model. I still have plenty of the original ones that I use on a regular basis. I have sharpened the hooks on the originals because they needed a better hook on it.

Let's not go over the top. Hite went that route because he was nearly out of options and getting paid helps. .he won back to back on the phenix vibrator , (in '06-ish??)...(FLW tour at Okeechobee and FLW series at the Cal Delta(IIRC) which it a much better bait although the hook was bronze.. which was sharp out of the package but would oxidize with a trailer of heavy salt content. The bait was discontinued in 2011...I can't comment on the elite series version...but when I walked by the original on the retail shelves and the hook was rusted in the package, it left something to be desired and I didn't go back...Bottom line was people built a better mousetrap, but now it is what it is. Good news is, I don't throw it a bunch and have a good stock of the Revenge brand. It's unarguable that the ZMan was in the bottom tier of this class of baits from a build standpoint. I'm not saying it won't catch fish...but others were not complacent and made a higher quality product.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:39 am

big_gee wrote:It's funny you guys rip this bait and it has won Brett Hite over $200k this year and it was a bait used the Mueller in the classic.

The Elite is an improvement and it has won a lot of money. Z-Man had to improve to be a reputable company. The Elite style head is all that you need and people over think it. The head never stops moving and I don't believe amazing detail is necessary. Less-detailed heads are cheaper, but Z-Man takes a less-detailed head and charges a premium price for the Elite. Also, some people feel a detailed head gives them more confidence, and that is what matters to them. These people will always be upset that Z-Man doesn't allow them to have more choices in the marketplace. I think we would all be pissed off if we had to use the same rods and reels.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:58 am

I would agree the hook on the early baits was not any good I would spend time sharpening those hooks. I waited a while for them to put a good hook in them and they finally did.

If I am correct and on his bio he is not on the ZMan staff so he is not getting paid to fish it. He has always been a bladed jig guy. I think he would do well with whatever bladed jig he throws.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:27 am

big_gee wrote:I would agree the hook on the early baits was not any good I would spend time sharpening those hooks. I waited a while for them to put a good hook in them and they finally did.

If I am correct and on his bio he is not on the ZMan staff so he is not getting paid to fish it. He has always been a bladed jig guy. I think he would do well with whatever bladed jig he throws.
Yes, he's got em figured out and he can catch them on any bladed jig. It will be interesting to see if the Elite pros start to incorporate different manufacturer's bladed jigs for different conditions, like crankbaits. Maybe the Wild Header and others have a niche. Time will tell.

bradjames12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bradjames12 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:23 pm

Found some 1/2oz Wild Headers at thehookuptackle.com based out of Arizona.
Haven't had a chance to fish them yet, but they look good :big grin: